A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Sayyiduna Talha Ibn Ubaydullah رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Sayyiduna Talha Ibn Ubaydullah رضي الله عنه ” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Who is Sayyiduna Talha Ibn Ubaydullah رضي الله عنه ?
- Name: Sayyiduna Talha Ibn Ubaydullah رضي الله عنه
- Born: 23 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (28 BH)
- Demise: 25 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (36 AH)
● Sayyiduna Talha رضي الله عنه the son of Ubaydullah was an extremely courageous and a generous companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ
● He accepted Islam in the very early days of Islam, through the invitation of Sayyiduna Abu Bakr al-Siddiq رضي الله عنه and was among the first 8 people to accept Islam.
● Sayyiduna Talha رضي الله عنه was also honoured to be named among the Asharah Mubasharah (the 10 sahaba who were given glad tidings of Jannah while still alive) and also had the honour to participate alongside our beloved Nabi ﷺ in all of the battles after the battle of Badr.
● His love for our beloved Nabi ﷺ can be understood from the battle of Uhud, where he made himself a human shield to protect our beloved Nabi ﷺ from the enemies. As a result of this, he suffered approximately 75 wounds and one of his hands were left paralysed.
● He was also extremely generous and was very selfless. He spent much of his wealth in the path of Allah to acquire His pleasure through which he earnt the titles of Talha-tul-Khayr (Talha the one full of goodness) and Talha-tul-Fayyadh (Talha the very generous one)
● During the time of Umar ibn al-Khattab رضي الله عنه, he was among the six people chosen to choose the next Khalifah after his death.
● After our beloved Nabi ﷺ passed away, he continued to serve the deen and give strength to Islam and it was in the battle of Jamal where he died a martyr.
● He passed away at the age of 64 and is buried in Basra, Iraq
May Allah Ta’ala grant a great amount of reward for all of his services to Rasulullah ﷺ and to deen and give us all the ability to emulate his great companions in every way.
Turn over and read
1) Talha ibn Ubaydullah رضي الله عنه was a very courageous companion.
2) He was extremely generous and spent large amounts of his wealth for Islam.
3) He was very respected and intelligent.
4) He was a very successful merchant.
5) He possessed a very high level of trust and showed great devotion to our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
1) On the Day of Uhud, the Messenger of Allah ﷺ due to wearing heavy armour could not climb on to a boulder. Sayyiduna Talhah رضي الله عنه lowered himself so our beloved Nabi ﷺ could use him to climb upon the boulder. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said upon this act of his that Jannah is obligatory for Talha.
2) He participated in the battle of Uhad with our beloved Nabi ﷺ so much so that in protecting and shielding our beloved Nabi ﷺ his arm became paralysed and he suffered a large number of wounds.
3) Our beloved Nabi ﷺ has said about him that whoever desires to see a martyr walking on the ground, let him look at Talha bin Ubaydullah. [Mishkat, Ibn Hisham]
4) He was named amongst the asharah mubashsharah (the 10 promised Jannah)
5) Due to his generosity, he came to be known as “Talha the Generous” and “Talha the Good” for his generosity.
6) He was married to Hamnah bint Jahsh, who was the sister of the mother of believers Zaynab bint Jahash رضي الله عنهما. So by this, he shared a family connection with our beloved Nabi ﷺ.