A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Ruqayyah bint Muhammad رضي الله عنها
Who is Sayyidah Ruqayyah bint Muhammad رضي الله عنها ?
Name: Sayyidah Ruqayyah bint Muhammad رضي الله عنها
Born: 33 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (20 BH)
Demise: 9 years before our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (2 AH)
● Sayyidah Ruqayyah رضي الله عنها was the beloved daughter of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and was the second daughter of our beloved Nabi ﷺ
● She was known for her beauty, submission and her forbearing nature.
● She accepted Islam at the age of 7 with her beloved mother, Khadeejah bint Khuwaylid رضي الله عنها.
● She first married Utbah, the son of Abu Lahab. When our beloved Nabi ﷺ was given Prophethood, Utbah stayed on his father’s Deen and divorced Sayyidah Ruqayyah رضي الله عنها before the consummation of their marriage.
● She then married the 3rd Khalifa and the close companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Uthman Ibn Affan رضي الله عنه in Makkah prior to the Hijrah to Madeenah.
● They both were honoured to perform Hijrah twice, first to Habsha (Abyssinia) and thereafter to Madeenah. She was the first to have this honour of migrating among the beloved daughters.
● They were blessed with a child who they named Abdullah. Abdullah lived for only 6 years and died in 4AH.
● Our beloved Nabi ﷺ, with his perfect character, gave her an excellent upbringing. He instilled piety, kindness, forbearance and countless other excellent qualities and characteristics within her.
● She had extreme love and care for our beloved Nabi ﷺ. She supported him immensely and was eager to practice upon the sayings of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● Sayyidah Ruqayyah رضي الله عنها became very ill whilst our beloved Nabi ﷺ was making preparations for the battle of Badr. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ ordered Sayyiduna Uthmaan رضي الله عنه to remain behind and take care of Sayyidah Ruqayyah رضي الله عنها. Sayyiduna Uthman رضي الله عنه received the same reward as the participants of Badr and was awarded with an equal share of the booty.
● Sayyidah Ruqayyah رضي الله عنها remained ill and passed away during the absence of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, at the young age of 22.
● She was buried in Jannatul Baqi on the day Zayd Ibn Harithah رضي الله عنه came to Madeenah with the good news of the victory of Badr.
May Allah grant her a lofty status in Jannah and may Allah Ta’ala accept all of her services to deen and reward her on our behalf.
Turn over and read
1. She accepted Islam in the very early days with her beloved mother, Khadijah رصي الله عنها
2. She was among the first to carry out the great task of hijrah (migration) from Makkah to Madeenah
3. She was fortunate to carry out the two Hijrah. (First to Abyssinia and then to Madeenah)
Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said, "Uthman radhiyallahu anhu and his wife Sayyidah Ruqayyah Radhiyallahu anhuma were the first to migrate after after Lut alayhis salam" (Isabah)