A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Maymunah Bint al-Harith رضي الله عنها
Who is Sayyidah Maymunah Bint al-Harith رضي الله عنها ?
Name: Sayyidah Maymunah bint al-Harith رضي الله عنها
Born: 24 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (29 BH)
Demise: 40 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (51 AH)
● Sayyidah Maymunah رضي الله عنها was the daughter of Harith Ibn Hazn رضي الله عنه who was from a very noble family. She was also the maternal aunt of Sayyiduna Abdullah Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه
● She was known for her piety, kind nature and zeel for knowledge.
● Her original name was Barra, but our beloved Nabi ﷺ changed her name to Maymunah (meaning – the Blessed).
● She first married Abu Ruhm Ibn Abdul Uzza who later passed away. After the demise of her husband, she was fortunate to marry our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● She married our beloved Nabi ﷺ at the age of 36 in the year 7AH when our beloved Nabi ﷺ went to perform “Umrah-al-Qadha” in a place called ‘Sarif’ (which is located on the outskirts of Makkah)
● She was honoured to be the last of the Ummul Mumineen (The mother of the believers).
● She lived with our beloved Nabi ﷺ for three years and took the responsibility of the household and family of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● She had extreme love and care for our beloved Nabi ﷺ. She supported him immensely and was eager to practice upon the sayings of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and she would encourage others to do the same.
● She had a desire to acquire and spread knowledge, thus, she narrated many ahadeeth from our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● After the demise of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, she lived for many years in Madeenah. During this time, she served Islam.
● Sayyidah Maymunah bint al-Harith رضي الله عنها passed away at the age of 70 on her journey back from Makkah at the place of her wedding (Sarif). Sayyiduna Abdullah Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه performed her Janazah salah and she is buried in Sarif.
May Allah grant her a lofty status in Jannah and may Allah Ta’ala accept all of her services to deen and reward her on our behalf
Turn over and read
1) She was very intelligent and wise.
2) She had a great interest in learning and teaching the Ahadeeth of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
3) She was very pious.
4) She was very kind-hearted and had a lot of simplicity.
Turn over and read
1) After Sayyidah Maymuna's رضي الله عنها Demise, Aisha رضي الله عنها said about her, “Among us, she had the most fear of Allah and did the most to maintain ties of kinship.” (Hakim)
2) She had great zeal for knowledge and memorised many narrations of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and conveyed them to others.
3) Her marriage with our beloved Nabi ﷺ was the means of many from her tribe embracing Islam.
4) She had amazing trust in Allah Ta’ala and in the words of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
5) She had True Faith and was a believer of high rank.
In one occasion she took a loan from someone when asked:
“O Mother of the Believers, why have you taken a loan when you do not have the means to pay if off?”
She replied, “I heard the Prophet ﷺ say,
“Whoever takes a loan intending to pay it back, Allah, the Mighty and Sublime, will help them.”
Our beloved Nabi ﷺ praised Maymunah رضي الله عنها saying that she has perfect faith and was a believer of high rank.