A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Ubay Ibn Ka’b رضي الله عنه
Who is Sayyiduna Ubay Ibn Ka'b رضي الله عنه ?
- Name: Sayyiduna Ubay Ibn Ka’b رضي الله عنه
- Born: Not known
- Demise: 17 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (30 AH)
- Note: some report that he passed away 9 years after the demise of our beloved Nabi ﷺ in the year 22 AH.
● Ubay radhiyallahu anhu the son of Ka’b was a very knowledgeable, beautiful reciter of the Quran and a very close companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ
● He was an Ansari and belonged to the Banu Mu’awiyah clan, a branch of the well-known Banu Khazraj tribe.
● Ubay ibn Ka’b radhiyallahu anhu accepted Islam in the very early stages. He was one of the first to accept Islam during the pledge of Aqabah.
● He participated in all the battles, fighting bravely besides our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● Ubay ibn Ka’b radhiyallahu anhu was very knowledgeable and had great understanding of Deen. He would give Fatawa (Islamic rulings) during the caliphate of Sayyiduna Umar radhiyallahu anhu and was the most renowned reciter of the Quran out of all the Sahabah.
● He was also a scribe for our beloved Nabi ﷺ. He wrote letters and under the supervision of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, wrote down the revelation received by our beloved Nabi ﷺ
●Ubay ibn Ka’b radhiyallahu anhu was one of the four companions from whom our beloved Nabi ﷺ recommended others to learn the Qur’an and by this, he became a teacher of the Qur’an for many great companions.
● He remained in Madeenah even after the demise of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and continued to serve the deen.
● He has narrated many Ahadeeth from our beloved Nabi ﷺ
● Ubay ibn Ka’b radhiyallahu anhu passed away in the year 30 AH, during the caliphate of Sayyiduna Uthman radhiyallahu anhu.
Note: Some historians are of the opinion the he passed away earlier than this in the year 22 AH.
May Allah Ta’ala grant a great amount of reward for all his services to Rasoolullah ﷺ and to deen and give us all the ability to emulate his great companions in every way.
Turn over and read
1) Sayyiduna Ubayy ibn Ka’b radhiyallahu anhu was very knowledgeable in matters of deen.
2) He was an expert in the recitation of the Qur’an.
3) He was dedicated to worshipping Allah Ta’ala.
4) He was very trustworthy.
Turn over and read
1) He was from those Sahabah who memorised the entire Qur’an by memory.
2) Sayyiduna Umar radhiyallahu anhu used to refer to him as the chief of the Muslims.
3) Sayyiduna Umar radhiyallahu anhu appointed him to lead the Taraweeh Salah in congregational form.
4) Allah Ta’ala mentioned his name to our beloved Nabi ﷺ
5) He was among the 4 Sahabah chosen to teach Qur'an. He is therefore the teacher of many companions radhiyallahu anhum.
Once our beloved Nabi ﷺ said to Sayyiduna Ubay ibn Ka’b radhiyallahu anhu,
“Allah has ordered me to recite the Quran to you.”
Sayyiduna Ubay radhiyallahu anhu asked,
“Has He (Allah Ta’ala) mentioned my name?”
Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said,
On hearing this, Sayyiduna Ubay radhiyallahu anhu started weeping.
Did you know? Sayyiduna Ubay ibn Ka’b radhiyallahu anhu used to finish one recitation of the entire Qur’an every 8 days