A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه
- Name : Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه (Asadullah – The Lion of Allah)
- Born : 23 BH (28 Years after Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ)
- Demise : 40 H (29 Years after Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ)
● Sayyiuduna Ali رضي الله عنه, the son of Abu Talib (paternal uncle of our beloved Nab ﷺ) was a knowledgeable and courageous companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
●He was known as Asadullah (Lion of Allah) due to his bravery and strength۔
●He accepted Islam at the young age of 10 years and was the first child to accept Islam.
●He was gifted the opportunity of spending nearly 30 years with our beloved Nabi ﷺ and while being his first cousin, he also became his son in law when he married Fatimah رضي الله عنها.
●He had extreme love for our beloved Nabi sal and would not fear his own life in order to protect our beloved Nabi ۔ﷺ
● He is among the Asaharah Mubasharah (the 10 who were promised Jannah) and after Uthmaan رضي الله عنه was martyred he became the fourth caliph for the Muslims.
● Sayyiduna Ali رضي الله عنه remained caliph for 5 years until he was martyred during salah at the age of 63. He was in Iraq at the time and was buried there.
May Allah grant Ali رضي الله عنه a great amount of reward for all of his services to our beloved Nabi ﷺ and to deen and give us the ability to emulate these great companions
The Strength and Bravery of Ali رضي الله عنه
From among the many great qualities of Sayyiduna Ali رضي الله عنه, one was his strength and courage.
In the battle of Trenches, he was appointed commander to the Muslim Army. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said before making him commander, “I will hand the standard to a man who loves Allah and His Rasool and is loved by Allah and His Rasool. He will come back victorious.”
Due to this battle, the non-Muslims had gathered an Army of 10,000 which included some of the finest warriors. Amr ibn Abd al-Wud was the best of them and he challenged the Muslims to a one on one combat. Sayyiduna Ali رضي الله عنه bravely stepped forward wielding the sword named Zulfiqar.
With one strike he defeated this legendary Arab warrior.
It was after this battle that our beloved Nabi ﷺ gave Sayyiduna Ali رضي الله عنه the name, Asadullâh (أَسَـدُ الله), which means ‘Lion of Allah’