A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Ammar Ibn Yasir رضي الله عنه
Who is Sayyiduna Ammar Ibn Yasir رضي الله عنه ?
- Name: Sayyiduna Ammar Ibn Yasir رضي الله عنه
- Born: 3 years before the birth of our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (56 BH)
- Demise: 26 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (37 AH)
● Sayyiduna Ammar, the son of Sayyiduna Yasir and Sayyidatuna Sumayyah, radhiyallahu anhum was known for his amazing devotion and dedication to Islam.
● He is among those Sahabah who accepted Islam during its early stages. What is even more special is he was from the first people to openly declare their Islam in front of the disbelievers of Makkah.
● Sayyiduna Ammar radhiyallahu anhu and his parents radhiyallahu anhum were slaves of Abu Hudhayfah. After his death, Abu Jahl became their master.
● Due to their Islam, they were persecuted severely. His mother Sumayyah radhiyallahu anha became the first martyr of Islam after being brutally attacked by Abu Jahl.
● Our beloved Nabi ﷺ once upon seeing them being tortured said to them, “Patience O family of Yasir, for verily your abode is Jannah!”. Similarly on another occasion he said “O Allah! Forgive the family of Yasir.”
● He was from those Sahabah who were fortunate to complete the Hijrah. Some scholars suggest he migrated to Habashah while some say he migrated only to Madeenah.
● He participated in all of the battles during the life of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, where he fought very courageously protecting our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● After the demise of our beloved Nabi ﷺ he continued to serve Deen and fought in many battles.
● He became the governor of Kufa during the caliphate of Sayyiduna Umar radhiyallahu anhu, but despite this he lived a very simple life.
● He passed away during the battle of Siffeen in the year 37AH at the age of 93.
Turn over and read
1.) He had a very strong belief (Iman)
2.) He was very patient and endured all types of torture.
3.) He was very trustworthy.
4.) He lived a life full of Zuhd (abstinence) and simplicity.
5.) He was described as someone who would speak little.
Turn over and read
1.) It was through his idea that the very first masjid, Masjid Quba, was built.
2.) He participated in all battles.
3.) He accepted Islam in the early stages of Islam and was among the first sahabah to declare his Iman.
4.) Our beloved Nabi ﷺ made a special Dua for him and his family.
It is narrated that when Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ migrated to Madinah, Sayyiduna Ammar radhiyallahu anhu said: “Let us make a place for him so he can take shade for his afternoon nap and perform Salah there also.”
This place eventually became Masjid Quba, the first Masjid made in Islam.
This is why ulama say: The first person to lay/ build a Masjid is Sayyiduna Ammar Ibn Yasir radhiyallahu anhu.
He accepted Islam approximately at the age of 47/48, a few years before the Hijrah to Madinah
He says (narrating the story to his grandson) “I met Suhayb ibn Sinan at the door of the house of Al-Arqam. I asked him, what do you want?
He said to me: What do you want?
I answered: I want to see what Muhammad ﷺ has to say.
He said: that is what I want. We entered and he presented Islam to us, and we became Muslim
Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ was sitting amongst the Sahabah when he said: I don’t know how long I will be amongst you therefore, follow the people after me. He indicated to Abu Bakr and Umar and then said: follow the way of Ammar and whatever Ibn Masood Radhiyallahu anhu says, accept it
Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ once said “There are 3 people who Jannah is looking forward to meeting, Ali, Salman and Ammar”
Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ said about him “O the pure one and the one who has been made pure”
During the construction of the Masjid in Madinah, the Sahabah were each carrying one one brick and Ammar was carrying two two bricks. Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ passed by him and removed dust from his head and said “O Ammar, a rebellious group will kill you. Ammar will be calling them to Allah while they will be calling him to hellfire”