A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Anas Ibn Malik رضي الله عنه
Listen to Anas Ibn Malik رضي الله عنه ” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Who is Anas Ibn Malik رضي الله عنه ?
- Name : Anas Ibn Malik رضي الله عنه
- Title: Abu Hamzah and Unays
- Born: 41 years after our beloved nabi sallallahu alayhi wassalam (10 BH)
- Demise: 82 years after our beloved nabi sallallahu alayhi wassalam (93 AH)
●Sayyidina Anas Ibn Malik رضي الله عنه was the son of Umme Sulaym (also known as Rumaysah رضي الله عنها).
● He was very dear to our beloved Nabi ﷺ who treated him as his own son and would sometimes call him with words ‘O My Son’.
● His mother very wisely placed him in the company of our beloved Nabi ﷺ from the age of 10, and he served and spent time with our beloved Nabi ﷺ for 10 years.
● Due to this company and also his eagerness to learn from our beloved Nabi ﷺ, he is amongst the Mukthireen fil hadeeth (those sahaba who narrated the most number of Ahadeeth). He narrated a total of 2286 Ahadeeth
● He remained in the service of our beloved Nabi ﷺ until the demise of our beloved Nabi ﷺ. He was 20 years of age at the time. When he recounts these years of service he says, Nabi ﷺ never scolded me or shouted at me during this entire time.
● After our beloved Nabi ﷺ passed away he moved to Basra and Iraq, where he continued learning and teaching deen.
● Through the dua of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, he acquired a very long life. He passed away at the age of 103 and was buried in Basra, Iraq.
● Due to his exceptionally long life, he became the teacher of many companions and tabi’ee. The likes of Hasan Basri رحمۃ اللّٰہ علیہ, Qatada رحمۃ اللّٰہ علیہ and Thabit Bunani رحمۃ اللّٰہ علیہ all studied under him and benefited from his company.
1) Anas رضي الله عنه spent much of his childhood in the company of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and gained first hand tarbiyyah at the hands of our most beloved for 10 years. This was a unique privilege.
2) He was blessed with a very long life (103 years) with good actions and was a living miracle of the dua of our beloved Nabi ﷺ. He is among the last Sahabah to pass away.
3) He was regarded as a teacher for a very large number of sahabah and tabi’ee and having seen our beloved Nabi ﷺ from very close, he had knowledge of his blessed habits, conduct and routine which many others did not.
4) He is among those sahabah who narrated the largest number of hadeeth from our beloved Nabi ﷺ. This is most remarkable considering his young age.
5) Anas رضي الله عنه is a role model for every child and every young person showing what can be achieved by valuing one’s younger years.
A special dua acts as a miracle of our beloved Nabi ﷺ
Once the beloved mother of Anas Ibn Malik رضي الله عنه requested our beloved Nabi ﷺ to make dua for her son. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ obliged and said;
اللَّهُمَّ أَكْثِرْ مَالَهُ وَوَلَدَهُ و أَطِلْ عُمُرَهُ وَ اغْفِرْ ذَنْبَهُ
“O Allah grant him (Anas رضي الله عنه) abundance of wealth and children, lengthen his life and pardon his sins”
The result of this dua was that:
1) ‘Abundance of wealth’ – While the trees of others would bear fruits once a year, his trees would bear fruits twice a year.
2) ‘Abundance of Children’ – Allah Ta’aala blessed him with a large family to the extent that he saw 120 children, grandchildren etc within his life.
3) ‘Lengthen his life’ – He lived a long life, living till the age of 103 and was among the last sahabah to pass away.
4) ‘Pardon his sins’ – When he would mention this dua to his students he would say that the first 3 dua’s have been accepted and I have hope that the last dua will be accepted too and Allah will grant me forgiveness.
Did you know?
Whenever Anas رضي الله عنه would complete the Glorious Qur’an, he would gather all the members of his (large) family and include them in the du’a of acceptance. This is very similar to the Khatmul Quran (Quran completion) gatherings we witness today!
A Very Special Du’a from Anas رضي الله عنه for this ummah:
Sayyiduna Anas رضي الله عنه was once brought in front of Hajjaj ibn Yusuf who had planned to harm him. Sayyiduna Anas رضي الله عنه told Hajjaj he would not be able to harm him as he had a du’a taught to him by our beloved Nabi ﷺ which offers protection from Shaytan, oppressive rulers and predatory animals’.
بِسْمِ اللَّهِ عَلَى نَفْسِي وَدِينِي، بِسْمِ اللَّهِ عَلَى مَا أَعْطَانِي رَبِّي عَزَّ وَجَلَّ، بِسْمِ اللَّهِ عَلَى أَهْلِي وَمَالِي، اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ، اللَّهُ رَبِّي، اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ، اللَّهُ رَبِّي لَا أُشْرِكُ بِهِ شَيْئًا، أَجِرْنِي مِنْ كُلِّ شَيْطَانٍ رَجِيمٍ، وَمِنْ كُلِّ جَبَّارٍ عَنِيدٍ، إِنَّ وَلِيِّيَ اللَّهُ الَّذِي نَزَّلَ الْكِتَابَ وَهُوَ يَتَوَلَّى الصَّالِحِينَ، فَإِنْ تَوَلَّوْا فَقُلْ حَسْبِيَ اللَّهُ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا هُوَ عَلَيْهِ تَوَكَّلْتُ وَهُوَ رَبُّ الْعَرْشِ الْعَظِيمِ
Whoever reads this dua morning and evening will be saved from all difficulties and harms.
Some advices given to Anas رضي الله عنه by our beloved Nabi ﷺ:
‘O my son! If you could possibly spend your morning and evening without bearing any malice and hatred towards any person then you should do so because it’s my sunnah and Whoever gives life to my sunnah certainly loves me and whoever loves me will be with with me in Jannah.’ (Tirmidhi)
‘O my son! Whenever you enter your house, say salam. This will be a source of Barakah- blessing- for you and your family’. (Tirmidhi)
‘You will be with those whom you love (on the day of Qiyamah) (Sahih Al-Bukhari