A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Safiyyah Bint Huyayy رضي الله عنها
Who is Sayyidah Safiyyah Bint Huyayy رضي الله عنها ?
- Name: Sayyidah Safiyyah Bint Huyayy Ibn Akhtab رضي الله عنها
- Born: 32 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (21 BH))
- Demise: 39 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (50 AH)
● Sayyidah Safiyyah Bint Huyyay Ibn Akhtab رضي الله عنها was the daughter of Huyyay Ibn Akhtab who belonged to a very noble Jewish tribe.
● She was known for her piety, beauty, intelligence, forbearance and love for our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● She was honoured of being from the lineage of prophet Haroon عليه السلام.
● She first married Kinana Ibn al Huqayq who later passed away in the battle of Khaybar.
● After the demise of her husband during the expedition of Khaybar, she was held as a captive. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ gave her the choice of joining her people or accepting Islam. She happily accepted Islam and our beloved Nabi ﷺ ended up freeing her and marrying her.
● She married our beloved Nabi ﷺ at the age of 17 in the year 7AH.
● She lived with our beloved Nabi ﷺ for four years and took the responsibility of the household and family of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● She had extreme love and care for our beloved Nabi ﷺ. She supported him immensely and was eager to practice upon the sayings of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and she would encourage others to do the same.
● She narrated many ahadeeth from our beloved Nabi ﷺ. She had a lot of love for salah and would weep whilst reciting the Qur’an.
● After the demise of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, she lived for many years and lived as a widow. During this time, she stayed in Madeenah and served Islam.
● Sayyidah Safiyyah Bint Huwayy Ibn Akhtab رضي الله عنها passed away in Madeenah during the reign of the Sayyiduna Mu’awiyah رضي الله عنه. She passed away at the age of 60 and she is buried in Jannatul Baqi along with the other blessed wives of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
May Allah grant her a lofty status in Jannah and may Allah Ta’ala accept all of her services to deen and reward her on our behalf
Turn over and read
1) She was known for her beauty and forgiving nature.
2) She was also very intelligent and wise.
3) She was dedicated to Allah Ta’ala and had lots of love for reciting the Qur’an and performing Salah.
Turn over and read
1) She accepted Islam out of her own will and then remained firm on Deen
2) She was honoured to be from the lineage of a prophet and thereafter further honoured by marrying the best of all prophets.
Ibn Sa’d رحمه الله says: When she was captured at the battle of Khaybar, our beloved Nabi ﷺ gave her the option of accepting Islam or staying on her religion (Jew).
She said to him: “Allah and his Rasool ﷺ are far more beloved to me than freedom or that I return to my people”. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ freed her and then married her.
Sayyidah Safiyyah رضي الله عنها loved our beloved Nabi ﷺ very dearly. Once, the beloved wives of our beloved Nabi ﷺ were together when he was going through his illness in which our beloved Nabi ﷺ left this world.
Sayyidah Safiyyah رضي الله عنها said : ‘Verily, by Allah, O Prophet of Allah, I would love that the illness which is afflicting you, was inflicting me instead.”
Upon hearing this, the other beloved wives began looking at her. So, our beloved Nabi ﷺ said, “Verily Safiyyah is speaking the truth”.
Sayyiduna Anas رضي الله عنه says: Our beloved Nabi ﷺ would sit down near his mount, to let Safiyyah رضي الله عنها put her feet on his shoulders so she could ride the mount. In some narrations, he put his thighs down for her (Fathul Baari)
Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said: “You are the daughter of a Nabi Nabi Haaroon عليه السلام, your uncle is a Nabi, Nabi Moosa عليه السلام, and you are in the marriage of a Nabi ﷺ. How can anyone then consider himself more privileged than you?”
Once, our beloved Nabi ﷺ saw a mark near the eyes of Safiyyah رضي الله عنها.
He asked her regarding it, upon which she replied: “My head was in the lap of my husband and I was sleeping. In my dream, it’s as if I saw the moon coming in to my lap so I informed my husband regarding this. He hit me hard and said : Are you wishing to be the wife of the king of Yathrib (Madeenah)”