Sayyidah Sawdah Bint Zam'ah رضي الله عنها (Continued from last week)
Click here to read the last weeks lesson on this great companion رضي الله عنها
Turn over and read
1) Sayyidah Sawdah رضي الله عنها was very generous and would spend whatever she could on the poor.
2.) She was humorous and was known to make our beloved Nabi ﷺ laugh.
3.) She was known for her kind-heartedness and her giving preference to others over herself.
4.) She was noble and honourable and was respected by many companions.
Turn over and read
1) She was among the first to carry out the great task of hijrah (migration) from Makkah to Habsha.
2) She was amongst the few companions who carried out two Hijrah. (To Abyssinia and also to Madeenah)
3) She enjoys the merit of being the first woman to marry our beloved Nabi ﷺ after the demise of Sayyidah Khadijah رضي الله عنها.
4.) She surpassed all the wives in her obedience and submission. She was also the eldest wife of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
5) Aaishah رضي الله عنها mentions there is no woman more beloved to me than Sawdah رضي الله عنها. I would like her simple ways and I wish I could have a heart as pure and clean as her's.
On the occasion of the farewell pilgrimage, our beloved Nabi ﷺ addressed his wives and instructed them to remain in their homes after his demise. Sayyidah Sawdah رضي الله عنها adhered so strictly to this instruction that she never even went for hajj after this. She used to say, “I have performed hajj and umrah, and will now remain in my house as per Nabi ﷺ’s instruction.
She said to him on one occasion, “I joined you in salah last night and you remained in ruku for so long that I thought I would get a nose bleed. This is why I held my nose for quite long. On hearing this, our beloved Nabi ﷺ began to smile.
On one occasion Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه sent a bag of Dirhams to her.
She remarked that dirhams are sent in bags just as dates are sent. Saying this, she distributed the dirhams immediately among the poor and needy.