Sayyidah Safiyyah Bint Huyayy Ibn Akhtab رضي الله عنها
Listen to “Sayyiduna Sa’eed Ibn Zayd رضي الله عنه” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Name: Sayyidah Safiyyah Bint Huyayy Ibn Akhtab رضي الله عنها
Born: 32 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (21 BH)
Demise: 39 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (50 AH)
● Sayyidah Safiyyah Bint Huyyay Ibn Akhtab رضي الله عنها was the daughter of Huyyay Ibn Akhtab who belonged to a very noble Jewish tribe.
● She was known for her piety, beauty, intelligence, forbearance and love for our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● She was honoured of being from the lineage of prophet Haroon عليه السلام.
● She first married Kinana Ibn al Huqayq who later passed away in the battle of Khaybar.
● After the demise of her husband during the expedition of Khaybar, she was held as a captive. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ gave her the choice of joining her people or accepting Islam. She happily accepted Islam and our beloved Nabi ﷺ ended up freeing her and marrying her.
● She married our beloved Nabi ﷺ at the age of 17 in the year 7AH.
● She lived with our beloved Nabi ﷺ for four years and took the responsibility of the household and family of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● She had extreme love and care for our beloved Nabi ﷺ. She supported him immensely and was eager to practice upon the sayings of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and she would encourage others to do the same.
● She narrated many ahadeeth from our beloved Nabi ﷺ. She had a lot of love for salah and would weep whilst reciting the Qur’an.
● After the demise of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, she lived for many years and lived as a widow. During this time, she stayed in Madeenah and served Islam.
● Sayyidah Safiyyah Bint Huwayy Ibn Akhtab رضي الله عنها passed away in Madeenah during the reign of the Sayyiduna Mu’awiyah رضي الله عنه. She passed away at the age of 60 and she is buried in Jannatul Baqi along with the other blessed wives of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
May Allah grant her a lofty status in Jannah and may Allah Ta’ala accept all of her services to deen and reward her on our behalf
To be continued next week…
Insha’Allah next week we will cover the very special merits and qualities of this great companion رضي الله عنها