Sayyidah Sawdah Bint Zam'ah رضي الله عنها
Listen to “Great Companions Series – Sayyidah Sawdah Bint Zam’ah رضي الله عنها” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Name: Sawdah Bint Zam’ah رضي الله عنها
Born: Same year as our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (53 BH)
Demise: 10 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (22 AH)
● Sayyidah Sawdah رضي الله عنها was the daughter of Sayyiduna Zam’ah رضي الله عنه and was born into the tribe of the Quraysh.
● She was known for her generosity, obedience, submission and kind-nature.
● She first married a companion by the name of Sayyiduna Sakran Ibn Amr رضي الله عنه and both husband and wife accepted Islam in the very early years of our beloved nabi ﷺ’s Nubuwwah (prophethood).
● After a few years of accepting Islam, they both performed Hijrah and migrated to Habsha (Abyssinia). A short while later on their return to Makkah, her husband passed away.
● After the demise of her husband, she was honoured to marry our beloved Nabi ﷺ. This was our beloved Nabi ﷺ’s first marriage after the demise of Sayyidah Khadija رضي الله عنها in the 10th year of Nubuwwah.
● She lived with our beloved nabi ﷺ for many years and took the responsibility of the household and family of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● She had extreme love and care for our beloved Nabi ﷺ. She supported him immensely after he lost Sayyidah Khadijah رضي الله عنها.
● After the demise of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Sayyiduna Abu Bakr and Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنهما both treated her with utmost respect.
● Sayyidah Sawdah Bint Zam’ah رضي الله عنها passed away in Madinah towards the end of the reign of Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه. She was 75 years at the time and she is buried in Jannatul Baqi.
May Allah grant her lofty status in Jannah and may Allah Ta’ala accept all of her services to deen and reward her on our behalf
To be continued next week…
Insha’Allah next week we will cover the very special merits and qualities of this great companion رضي الله عنها