Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Name: Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه
Born: 12 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (40 BH)
Demise: 7 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (18 AH)
● Abu Ubaydah رضي الله عنه, the son of Abdullah, was an extremely brave, courageous and a very humble companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● His full name is Amir ibn Abdullah ibn al-Jarrah, but he became famous as Abu Ubaydah ibn al-Jarrah.
● He accepted Islam in the very early days of Islam at the age of 28.
● He is also among the Asharah Mubasharah (the 10 sahaba who were promised Jannah).
● He was honoured with the opportunity to perform Hijrah twice, first to Abyssinia and then to Madeenah al-Munawwarah.
● He also had the honour of participating in all the major battles during his lifetime where he fought very courageously. He was very skilled in shooting arrows.
● His position can be understood from the battle of Uhud, during which he stayed steadfast and fought bravely and protected our Beloved Nabi ﷺ. He lost two of his front teeth while trying to remove two links of armour that had sunk into the blessed cheeks of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● He was given the title ‘ امین ھذہ الأمة’ (the trustworthy one of this ummah). This was as a result of the trustworthy nature of Abu Ubaydah رضي الله عنه.
● His trust and position in the eyes of Allah and his Rasool ﷺ can be understood from the fact that he was sent as a governor/ leader to many places to teach people about deen and attend to the affairs of the people.
● During the time of Umar ibn al-Khattab رضي الله عنه, he was among the six people chosen to choose the next Khalifah.
● In 18 AH, a plague spread in Shaam and Abu Ubaydah رضي الله عنه fell ill with this plague and passed away at the age of 58. Sayyiduna Muadh Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه performed his Janazah salah and He is buried in Shaam.
May Allah Ta’ala grant a great amount of reward for all of his services to Rasulullah ﷺ and to deen and give us all the ability to emulate his great companions in every way.
To be continued next week…
Insha’Allah next week we will cover the very special merits and qualities of this great companion رضي الله عنه