Etiquettes of Sleeping
Did you know:
If you sleep with wudhu, your soul goes and prostrates before Allah Ta’ala. And if one does not have wudhu the soul is rejected and sent back. (Kitabuz Zuhd of Ibnul Mubarak, Hadith:1245)
Let’s look at a few etiquettes before sleeping which we can all add to our sleeping routine and make it more rewarding and beneficial:
1) Close all doors, windows while reciting bismillah and ensure all food items are covered.
2) Put out anything which may catch alight if left on, such as candles, gass fires etc.
3) Make wudhu before sleeping. If One is unable to make wudhu then tayyamum will suffice.
4) Make miswaak before sleeping and dust one’s bed with one’s clothes or by using the right hand 3 times.
5) To lie down on one’s right side facing the qibla with the right hand resting under one’s cheek and the left hand on one’s left side of the body. Note: We should refrain from sleeping on our stomachs.
6) Recite sleeping duaas, ayatul kursi and 3 kuls 3 times each. Thereafter, blow on the palms and rub it on one’s body 3 times from head to the toe. (Tirmidhi)
7) Recite istigfaar for our wrongdoings.
8) Read tasbeeh fatimah before sleeping which will remove effects of tiredness and hardships. 33 times Subhanallah, 33 times Alhamdulillah, 34 times Allahu Akbar. (Mishkaat) For more details on the benefits of tasbeeh Fatimah, click here
9) Make intention to wake up for tahajjud salah and fajr salah.
10) If one has had a good dream then he should:
a.) Relate it to a learned person so that it can be interpreted correctly
b.) If one has a bad dream or nightmare then one should:
– Recite أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم
– Lightly spit or blow on the left side 3 times,
– Change sides and sleep.
– Do not mention the dream to anyone and Insha’Allah no harm should come to the person.
Did you know:
By reciting ayatul kursi before sleeping, Allah Ta’aala sends an angel to protect us through out the night. (Sahih Bukhari). Click here to learn more about ayatul kursi.