Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه (Continued from last week)
Turn over and read
1) Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه was extremely courageous and brave
2) He had great leadership skills
3) He had little interest with the things of this world.
4) He was very trusty worthy
Turn over and read
1) Abu Ubaydah Ibn al- Jarrah رضي الله عنه is among the Asharah Mubasharah (the 10 sahaba who were promised Jannah)
2) He was given the title ’The Trustworthy one of the Ummah’,
3) He was also amongst the 6 Sahabah that Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه appointed after his demise to choose the next caliph.
4) He was described by our beloved Nabi ﷺ as an ‘Excellent Man’.
5) He was fortunate to carry out the hijrah and participated in all the battles.
6) He was made Leader and governor many times due to his praiseworthy qualities.
Sayyiduna Abu Hurayrah رضي الله عنه says that our beloved Nabi ﷺ said, “What a great man Abu Bakr is. What a great man Umar is. What a great man Abu Ubaydah is.” (Tirmidhi)
Sayyiduna Anas Ibn Malik رضي الله عنه reported that Nabi ﷺ said: “Verily, Every Ummah has an Ameen (a true worthy man) and the ameen of Our Ummah is Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah.” (Bukhari, Muslim)
Sayyiduna Hudhayfah Ibn Yamaan رضي الله عنه says that the people of Najran came to our beloved Nabi ﷺ and requested him to appoint an ameen over them and send him to them. He said, “ I will appoint an ameen who is rightly a trustworthy person.” The people looked expectantly to be appointed, but he appointed and sent Abu Ubaydah Ibn al Jarrah رضي الله عنه to Najran. (Saheeh Bukhari)
Abu Mulaikah says, “I heard `A’isha رضي الله عنها as saying, she was asked as to whom Allah’s Messenger ﷺ would have nominated as his successor if he had to nominate one.
She said: Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه. It was said to her: Then whom after Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه? She said: `Umar رضي الله عنه. It was said to her. Then whom after `Umar رضي الله عنه? She said: Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه, and then she kept quiet at this.
Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه says: If Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه was alive, I would have nominated him as the Khalifah after me, and I would not have consulted anyone. If I was asked about it then I would have said that I have nominated one who was ameen in the sight of Allah ta’ala and His Messenger.”
Once when Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه went to meet Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه and others in Syria, during the conquest of Jerusalem, he was happy when he saw that he was humbly dressed.
Even though the Muslims gained much booty under him, when Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه went to his home, he saw that he had no possessions except a bed, a sword and a shield saying that it was enough for him. He asked him: “Do you have any food?
So, Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah رضي الله عنه stood up and presented Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه with some pieces of bread. Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه cried and later on said: “The dunya has changed us all except you O Abu Ubaydah!