Sayyiduna Mu'adh Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Great Companions Series – Sayyiduna Mua’dh Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه ” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Name: Mu’adh Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه
Title: Abu Abdirrahman
Born: 33 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (20 BH)
Demise: 7 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (18 AH)
● Mu’adh رضي الله عنه the son of Jabal Ibn Amr Ibn Aws was a very knowledgeable, pious and a very close companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ
● His parents passed away before the advent of Islam and he was brought up in the Banu Salama tribe living in the outskirts of Madeenah.
● Mu’adh Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه accepted Islam in the very early stages. He was only 18 years old when the pledge of Aqabah took place.
● One very special and distinguishing quality of Mu’adh Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه was that since he accepted Islam, he participated in all the battles.
● Mu’adh Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه was very knowledgeable and went on to become the most learned with regards to Halal and Haram.
● His trust and position in the eyes of Allah and his Rasool ﷺ can be understood from the fact that he was sent as a governor to Yemen by our beloved Nabi ﷺ to teach people about deen and attend to the affairs of the people.
●Mu’adh Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه was one of the four companions from whom our beloved Nabi ﷺ recommended others to learn the Quran and by this, he became a teacher of the Quran for many great companions.
● He remained in Yemen till the demise of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and during the time of Sayyiduna Abubakr As Siddeeq رضي الله عنه he returned to Madeenah.
● A short while after returning, he expressed his desire to travel to Syria as he wanted to join the Muslim army and attain martyrdom. Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه asked Sayyiduna Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه to persuade him to stay in Madeenah so people can benefit from him. But he declined this request and made the journey to Syria.
● In 18 AH, a plague spread in Shaam and Mu’adh رضي الله عنه fell ill with this plague, passing away at the age of 38 and was buried in Shaam. Some historians have said he passed away even younger at the age of only 33!
May Allah Ta’ala grant a great amount of reward for all of his services to Rasulullah ﷺ and to deen and give us all the ability to emulate his great companions in every way.
Did you know?
Our beloved Nabi ﷺ instructed everyone to learn the Qur’an from 4 companions:
1) Ubayy Ibn Kab رضي الله عنه,
2) Mu’adh Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه,
3) Salim Mawla Abu Hudhayfa رضي الله عنه,
4) Abdullah Ibn Mas’ood رضي الله عنه.
We could say these 4 companions are the experts of the Quran in this ummah!
To be continued next week…
Insha’Allah next week we will cover the very special merits and qualities of this great companion رضي الله عنه