Walking a guest to the door
When someone visits us, it’s important to be respectful and attend to their needs. When they are about to leave, we should see them off with respect too.
In seeing someone off we have a few options:
1) We remain seated in our place and let them leave alone. This should be avoided.
2) We walk them till the door or we send someone to walk them till the door if we are busy with some work or with other guests. This is good practice
3) We walk with them out of the house, until they enter their vehicle, or if they have come walking, we walk till the end of the street with them. This is better
4) (if walking) We walk with them till they reach home. This is very good
5) In some cases when someone is travelling far for a long duration it is sunnah to go till the boundary of the city or even country (like airport). This is good practice
All of these methods will Insha’Allah bring the reward of following a Sunnah of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
So which is the best method?
Let us look at an example of this practice in the time of our beloved Nabi ﷺ in a narration when Muaaz Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه was being sent to Yemen to govern and teach the people.
Our amazing Nabi ﷺ walked with him till the outskirts of Madeenah and bid him farewell from there!
So, the next time we have a visitor, be respectful and follow this beautiful sunnah and stop whatever we are doing and walk them till the door. If it is someone elderly, pious or our parents, uncles and aunties etc go a step further and walk them till their car. This will take only a short time and a small amount of effort but the reward and blessings will be huge Insha’Allah.