Sunnah Of Using The Right Hand
Many tasks we do during the day, require us to use either our right or left side. Sometimes, we use our right and sometimes we use our left. Most of the time even without really realising which we have used.
Today’s lesson will teach us which side was used by our beloved Nabi ﷺ, for different tasks so that we can gain special rewards for doing basic day-to-day tasks. This will also bring lots of blessings into our lives and make Allah Ta’ala very happy with us.
Sayyidituna ‘A’ishah radhiyallahu anha says:
“Rasoolullah ﷺ liked to start from the right. He would accept (receive something given to him) with his right hand and give with his right hand, and he liked to start on the right in all his affairs.” (Nasa’i)
In another Hadeeth she says:
“(Our beloved) Nabi ﷺ always started from the right when he wore his shoes, combed his hair, performed ablution (wudhu) and whenever he did something good. (Bukhari)
From Ahadeeth such as these, we learn that our beloved Nabi ﷺ used the right side for all noble, praiseworthy, or superior actions. While he used the left side for actions which were inferior, unpleasant, or not suitable for the right side.
Let us look at some occasions when it is sunnah to start with or use the right hand side:
– When wearing shoes (Bukahri, Muslim)
– When combing hair (Bukahri, Muslim)
– When performing wudhu (Bukahri, Muslim)
– Giving or Taking something (Nasa’i)
– Wearing clothes (Tirmidhi)
– When entering the Masjid (Mustadrak Hakim)
– For eating and drinking (Bukhari)
– For sleeping/lying down (Tirmidhi)
Other instances where it will be most preferable to start with or use the right hand side:
– When shaking hands with someone
– When holding the Qur’an or any deeni book
– While passing something round in a circle or while having food (pass to the right side)
– When exiting the bathroom/toilet
– Putting on kohl/ surma
Instances where it is best we should start with or use the left hand side:
– When entering the bathroom/toilet
– Blowing one’s nose (use left hand)
– Exiting the mosque
– Cleaning oneself after using the toilet
– Taking off one’s clothes
– Taking of one’s shoes
– Lifting one’s shoes (especially if they are dirty)
Shaytan uses the left side when eating and drinking!
Sayyiduna Abdullah Ibn ‘Umar radhiyallahu anhu reported that Rasoolullah ﷺ said:
When any one of you intends to eat, he should eat with his right hand and when he drinks he should drink with his right hand, as Shaytan eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand.