A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنهما ” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Who is Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنهما ?
- Name: Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنهما
- Title: Abu Abdurrahman
- Born: 39 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (10 BH)
- Demise: 64 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (74 AH)
● Sayyiduna Abdullah the son of Sayyiduna Umar ibn Khattab رضي الله عنهما, was among the young companions of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● He was known for his knowledge, piety, humility, generosity and desire to adhere to the sunnah of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
●He accepted Islam with his beloved father Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه at a very young age.
● While still a young boy, he had the opportunity to perform Hijrah from Makkah to Madeenah with his beloved father Umar ibn Khattab and beloved mother Zaynab binte Maz’oon رضي الله عنهم.
● Sayyiduna Abdullah رضي الله عنه was always eager to learn and despite his cautious approach to narrating Hadeeth from our beloved Nabi ﷺ, he is amongst the mukthireen e hadeeth (those sahaba who narrated the most Ahadeeth). He has a narrated a total of 2,630 ahadeeth.
● His love for our beloved Nabi ﷺ was very evident from his eagerness to practice all of the Sunnats and teachings of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
●After our Nabi ﷺ passed away he lived a long life and continued with his zeal for knowledge and learning and preaching, he became the teacher of great companions and tabi’ee. The Likes of Sayyiduna Jabir رضي الله عنه, Imam Nafi رحمة الله عليه, Saeed bin Mussayib رحمة الله عليه all studied by him and benefitted from his company.
● Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه passed away in Makkah at the age of 84 and is buried in Makkah.
May Allah grant Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه a great amount of reward for all of his services to our beloved Nabi ﷺ and to Deen and give us all the ability to emulate these great companions.
1) Abdullah رضي الله عنه was very particular about following every sunnah.
2) He was very careful in narrating hadeeth. He would only narrate what he was fully sure of.
3) He was attached to worshipping Allah Ta’ala, standing in night prayer and reciting the Glorious Qur’an.
4) He was very generous and within whatever means he had he would spend on the poor and needy.
5) Despite his knowledge, closeness to our beloved Nabi ﷺ and being the son of the great Umar ibn Khattab رضي الله عنه , he was very level headed. He was always humble and adopted the highest levels of Humility.
1) On one occasion he narrated a dream to his sister Hafsah رضي الله عنها who mentioned it to our beloved Nabi ﷺ. Upon hearing the dream, our beloved Nabi ﷺ said, “Abdullah is the best of men, how good would it be if he also offered the night prayer.
After this day, it is reported that Sayyiduna Abdullah slept very little at night and he would be engaged in salah all night. As the night would draw to the end, he would repent till morning.
2) On another occasion, he saw a dream that he was holding a silk cloth with which he was able to fly to whichever part of paradise he wished. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ interpreted this dream by saying, “Abdullah is a pious man”. (Tirmidhi)
3) Aisha رضي الله عنها (may Allah be pleased with her) said in observation: No one followed the footsteps of the Prophet more closely than lbn Umar رضي الله عنه did.
4) Abdullah ibn Mas’ood رضي الله عنه who was older than him and elder in rank says: Among the young men of Quraysh, Abdullah ibn Umar رضي الله عنه had the greatest control over his self. (Isabah)
5) Explaining his simplicity, Saeed Ibn Jubayr رحمه الله reports that he once found him lying on a thick sheet which is used under the saddle of a camel.
6) Jabir Ibn Abdullah رضي الله عنه says that Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه had no inclination towards this world.
7) The Great Tabiee, Hazrat Suddi رحمه الله says that after the demise of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, there was no change whatsoever in his condition. He behaved exactly how he did in the time of our beloved Nabi ﷺ
An amazing story of Abdullah ibn Umar رضي الله عنه and a shepherd
Once Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Umar رضي الله عنه was on the outskirts of Madinah with some companions. Along the way, they stopped to eat and spread the dining mat. A shepherd passed by and greeted them.
Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Umar رضي الله عنه invited him to the meal. He excused himself because he was fasting. Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه said, “You have kept an optional fast on such a hot and sunny day?”
The man replied saying, “I regard these days as an opportunity (to gain extra reward). Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه was very impressed and wanted to test his level of righteousness.
He said to him, “Sell us a goat. We will pay for it and also give you some of its flesh for your iftar.” The shepherd said the goats belonged to his master and not him. So it was not possible to sell any goats to him.
Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه said, “The owner will not know.” The man was shocked by this comment and question, “فاين الله, فاين الله” (Where is Allah?)
When Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه returned to Madinah, he bought the slave and the goats from the man’s master freed him and presented all the goats to him as a gift. (Usd Al Ghabah)