Greeting one another with ‘Salaam’
When we meet someone, what’s the first thing we should say? ‘Hello’ or ‘Hi’? Or maybe ask, ‘How are you’?
Let’s look at the best way to greet someone through the teachings of our amazing Nabi ﷺ.
Our beloved Nabi ﷺ has taught us that when we meet someone, we should begin with the words of ‘Salam’:
اَلسَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اَللهِ وَبَرَكاتُهُ
Assalāmu ‘Alaykum wa rahmatullāhi wa barakātuh
Translation: ‘Peace be upon you and Allah’s mercy and blessings be upon you’
The person who we greet will reply with the words:
وَعَلَيْكُم اَلسَّلَامُ وَرَحْمَةُ اَللهِ وَبَرَكاتُهُ
Wa’ alaykumussalām ‘wa rahmatullāhi wa barakātuh
Translation: ‘And may Peace be upon you and Allah’s mercy and blessings be upon you’
By greeting one another with salaam:
– We are spreading the message of peace and safety
– We are giving our fellow brother/sister assurance that they are safe from any harm from us.
– We are getting between 10 to 30 rewards:
10 Rewards If we just say: اَلسَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُم
20 Rewards If we say: اَلسَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اَللهِ
30 rewards if we say: اَلسَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اَللهِ وَبَرَكاتُهُ
– We will get the rewards and blessings of following a Sunnah!
– We will be giving and receiving 3 Du’as (for peace, mercy and blessings) for each time we meet someone
– We will be remembering Allah Ta’aala!
– It will make Allah Ta’aala happy.
So the next time we see someone, be the first to do salaam and gain all of these special benefits.
Some guidelines and etiquettes related to salaam:
– Make an effort to be the first to say salaam. Do not wait for others to give salaam.
– Greet with salaam frequently. Say salaam every time you meet someone!
– Correct your salaam by getting its pronunciation right.
– Say salaam to everyone, be they younger or older than us.
– If someone greets us with salaam reply to their salaam immediately.
– Make an effort to say and reply with the full salaam as there are more rewards.
– If someone is busy talking to someone, or busy in ibadat (worship) or studying and saying salaam will cause them inconvenience or disturb them then do not say salaam.
– Greeting with salaam and shaking hands are two separate sunnah and should both be followed for greater reward.