When someone is talking to us, it is very important that we have our full attention towards them. It is rude and disrespectful to let ourselves be distracted whilst someone is talking to us and also against the beautiful sunnah of our most beloved Nabi ﷺ.
In the Hadeeth we find that when someone would talk to our beloved Nabi ﷺ, he would not move away or even look away until they did had not finished and moved away themselves.
Not only this, but our amazing Nabi ﷺ would be so attentive to each and every person that they would feel they were the closest to him!
Only special people can do this and our beloved Nabi ﷺ was definitely special!
So, the next time someone is talking to us, we should face towards them, put away anything that may distract us like phones or anything that we may fiddle with, and then give them our total undivided attention.
Some etiquettes to remember when speaking with others:
1) Speak clearly, use easy to understand language and speak in a moderate tone. Avoid the use of slang language
2) Only speak when necessary and speak of what is beneficial. It is better to remain silent if there is nothing good to say.
3) Be polite and kind at all times.
4) Avoid backbiting, slandering, lying and talebearing.
5) Choose your words carefully and make sure not to hurt anyone’s feeling with your words.
6) By showing your interest in what someone says and giving them full attention, they will feel worthy and happy that they came and spoke with you.
A kind, respectful person is always remembered, respected and loved and is close to Allah Ta’ala and close to the hearts of people. So, let’s try become the best person we can be!