Du’a when it rains
We all enjoy sunny days and moan when it rains. But imagine if it never rained? How would plants and trees grow? Where would we find drinkng water? The parks would be dry and brown? It wouldnt be a very pleasant world.
So we need rain and as rain is in the control of Allah Ta’ala, it is great blessing of His that He sends rain down upon us. For this reason we should be happy and grateful when it does rain.
However, too much rain, especially very heavy rain for long periods of time can be a problem as it can destroy crops and cause floods.
So while being grateful to Allah Ta’ala we should also ask for beneficial rain.
Our beloved Nabi ﷺ has taught us a very short and beautiful Du’a when it rains heavily:
Du’a when it rains
اَللّٰهُمَّ صَيِّبًا نَافِعًا
Allahumma sayyiban nafi‘an
Translation (with brief explanation):
O Allah, (make it) a beneficial downpour. (Bukhari)
Another version of the Du’a is:
اَللّٰهُمَّ صَيِّبًا هَنِيْئًا
Allahumma sayyiban hanian
O Allah, (make it) a wholesome downpour. (Abu Dawood)
Some benefits of reading this Du’a:
1) We will be following a Sunnah of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
2) We will be remembering Allah Ta’ala during a time when he is blessing us. Allah Ta’ala loves this.
3) We will be reminding ourselves that rain is beneficial when Allah Ta’ala wants it to and it can be harmful too.
4) We will Insha’allah be saved from harmful rain and be granted the blessings and benefits of rain.
5) We will be following the advice of our amazing Nabi ﷺ.
6) Rain is a time of Allah Ta’ala’s mercy, so by reading this Du’a we will be turning to Allah Ta’ala at a time of mercy.
Other Sunnah Du’as for when it rains
1) During a severe downpour
اَللّٰهُمَّ حَوَالَيْنَا ولا عَلَيْنَا
Allahumma hawalayna wala ‘alaina
Translation: O Allah! (let rain) around us and not upon us. (Bukhari)
2) For safety from harm
اَللّٰهُمَّ إِنِّيْ أَسْألُكَ خَيْرَها وَخَيْرَ ما فِيْهَا وَخَيْرَ ما أرْسِلَتْ بِهِ، وَأعُوْدُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّها وَشرِّ ما فِيْهَا وشَرِّ ما أُرْسِلَتْ بِهِ
Allahumma inni as-aluka khayraha wa khayra ma fiha wa khayra ma ursilat bihi, wa a’uzhubika min sharriha wa sharri ma fiha wa sharri ma ursilat bihi
Translation: O Allah! I beseech you for the good of it, the good in it, the good that it brings, and I seek refuge in you from its evil, the evil that’s in it and the evil that comes with it. (Muslim)
3) When it Thunders
اَللّٰهُمَّ لَا تَقْتُلْنَا بِغَضَبِكَ وَلَا تُهْلِكْنَا بِعَذَابِكَ وَعَافِنَا قَبْلَ ذٰلِكَ
Allahumma la taqtulna bi ghadhabik wa la tuhlikna bi ‘adhabik, wa ‘afina qabla dhalik
Translation: O Allah! do not kill us through your anger, and do not destroy us through your punishment. Save us before your punishment. (Tirmidhi)
4) After it rains:
مُطِرْنا بِفَضْلِ اللهِ وَرَحْمَتِه
Mutirna bi fadlillahi wa rahmatihi
Translation: It has rained through the grace and mercy of Allah. (Bukhari)
Two simple sunnah practices for when it rains:
1) It is mustahabb to expose oneself to the rain and let some of it flow over one’s body.
Sayyiduna Anas رضي الله عنه relates that:
“When we were with the Messenger of Allah ﷺ it rained. The Messenger of Allah ﷺ lifted part of his garment so that the rain could fall on him. We said:” O Messenger of Allah (ﷺ), why did you do that?” He said: “Because it has just come from its Lord, may He be glorified and exalted.”” (Muslim)
2) Du’as are accepted at the time of rainfall.