Du’a after a gathering
When we are sitting with friends and family and the time comes for us to leave, we usually say salams and goodbyes, etc. Let us today learn a very simple dua, which will help us to erase any wrong we may have done while we were together and gain Allah’s forgiveness.
In the Hadeeth of our beloved Nabi ﷺ we find the following dua:
Dua after a gathering
سُبْحَانَكَ اللَّهُمَّ وَبِحَمْدِكَ، أَشْهَدُ أَنْ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ أَسْتَغْفِرُكَ وَأَتُوبُ إِلَيْكَ
Subhaanaka Allaahumma wa bihamdika, ash-hadu an laa ilaaha illaa Anta, astaghfiruka wa atoobu ilayk
Translation: “Glory is to You, O Allah, and praise is to You. I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but You. I seek Your forgiveness and repent to You”. [Sunan Abu Dawud]
Our beloved Nabi ﷺ despite being free from sin still recited this dua which gives us a practical lesson of its importance. Especially when we consider the number of wrongs which take place in our gatherings.
Benefits of this Dua:
1) We are praising Allah Ta’aala to attract his mercy and attention.
2) We are humbling ourselves before Him
3) We are asking His forgiveness for any gossip, backbiting, sinful talk, etc we may have done
4) If no sin was done, we are asking for forgiveness for any time we may have wasted
5) We are engaging in the zikr of Allah Ta’aala and following a Sunnah of our amazing Nabi ﷺ.
So, the next time we are about to leave any gathering, chat, group, family visit, class, etc. We should read this dua first and then leave.
This dua does not mean we carelessly engage in wrong during any gatherings. We must still be careful and use this as a way to help us if we made any mistakes.