Sayyidah Umme Salama رضي الله عنها
Listen to “Great Companions Series – Sayyidah Umme Salama رضي الله عنها” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Name: Hind Bint Abee Ummayaah رضي الله عنها
Title: Umme Salama
Born: 14 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (26 BH)
Demise: 50 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (61 AH)
● Sayyidah Umme Salama رضي الله عنها was the daughter of Abu Ummayyah.
● She was one of the female companions of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and was very well known for her generosity, piety, beauty, intelligence and far-sightedness.
● Her name was Hind, but she is better known as Umme Salama due to her son ‘Salama’.
● She first married Abdullah ibn Abdul Asad al-Makhzoomi who is better known as Sayyiduna Abu Salama رضي الله عنه
● Both husband and wife were among the early people to accept Islam.
● When the command to migrate to Madeenah came, Sayyidah Umme Salama رضي الله عنها was among the first female companions to migrate.
● After the demise of her husband Sayyiduna Abu Salama رضي الله عنه, she felt a great loss as she loved him a lot and felt there was no husband like him. Many proposals came but she declined. However, she was then given the privilege to come into the nikah of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and earned the title of Ummul mu’mineen (mother of the believers)
● She lived with our beloved nabi ﷺ for 7 years and had the opportunity to accompany our beloved Nabi ﷺ on his journeys.
● During this time she gained much knowledge from our beloved Nabi ﷺ and she narrated a total of 378 ahadeeth.
● After our beloved Nabi ﷺ passed away she lived for many years. During this time she became an important figure. Many great companions, the likes of Sayyiduna Abdullah Ibn Abbas and Sayyiduna Abu Hurayrah رضي الله عنهما benefitted from her knowledge and many other companions would consult her in matters of deen too.
● She was the last from the beloved wives of our beloved Nabi ﷺ to pass away.
● Sayyidah Umme Salama رضي الله عنها passed away in Madinah at the age of 84. Sayyiduna Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه led her Janazah salah and she is buried in Jannatul Baqi.
May Allah grant her lofty status in Jannah and may Allah Ta’ala accept all of her services to deen and reward her on our behalf
To be continued next week…
Insha’Allah next week we will cover the very special merits and qualities of this great companion رضي الله عنها