Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنهما
Listen to “Great Companions Series – Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنهما ” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Name: Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنهما
Title: Abu Abdurrahman
Born: 39 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (10 BH)
Demise: 64 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (74 AH)
● Sayyiduna Abdullah the son of Sayyiduna Umar ibn Khattab رضي الله عنهما, was among the young companions of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● He was known for his knowledge, piety, humility, generosity and desire to adhere to the sunnah of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
●He accepted Islam with his beloved father Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه at a very young age.
● While still a young boy, he had the opportunity to perform Hijrah from Makkah to Madeenah with his beloved father Umar ibn Khattab and beloved mother Zaynab binte Maz’oon رضي الله عنهم.
● Sayyiduna Abdullah رضي الله عنه was always eager to learn and despite his cautious approach to narrating Hadeeth from our beloved Nabi ﷺ, he is amongst the mukthireen e hadeeth (those sahaba who narrated the most Ahadeeth). He has a narrated a total of 2,630 ahadeeth.
● His love for our beloved Nabi ﷺ and exceptional and this love showed by way of him being very particular with following all of the actions and teachings of our beloved Nabi ﷺ. Such was this habit that, he would try sit where our beloved Nabi ﷺ would sit. If our beloved Nabi ﷺ would descend from his camel at a particular place and perform two rakats, he رضي الله عنه too would descend and perform two rakat in that place whenever he happened to pass this place.
●After our Nabi ﷺ passed away he lived a long life and continued with his zeal for knowledge and learning and preaching, he became the teacher of great companions and tabi’ee. The Likes of Sayyiduna Jabir رضي الله عنه, Imam Nafi رحمة الله عليه, Saeed bin Mussayib رحمة الله عليه all studied by him and benefitted from his company.
● Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه passed away in Makkah at the age of 84 and is buried in Makkah.
May Allah grant Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه a great amount of reward for all of his services to our beloved Nabi ﷺ and to Deen and give us all the ability to emulate these great companions.
To be continued next week…
Insha’Allah next week we will cover the very special merits and qualities of this great companion رضي الله عنه
Ikhlaas (sincerity) of Dāwūd bin Abī Hind رحمة الله عليه (passed Away: 139 AH/756 AD)
Dāwūd bin Abī Hind رحمة الله عليه was a very pious scholar who lived in Basra. Approximately 130 years after the time of our beloved Nabi ﷺ. He was lucky to have met many tabi’een (those people who met the Sahabah).
His sincerity of good deeds was such that he fasted for forty years without anyone knowing. Not even his own family! To ensure his fast would remain only between himself and Allah Ta’ala he would even take his lunch with him and then would donate it in the streets to the poor!