This Weeks Dua
Dua before sleeping and waking up
After a long day, we all need to sleep and after a good night’s sleep we wake up ready for another day ahead. We do this every night, without ever really realising how great both these blessings are. Yes! Both are amazing and very special blessings of Allah Ta’aala which contain many blessings within them.
Let us look at sleep first; falling asleep is a natural process and does not come to everyone. Many who suffer from sleep-related issues know how difficult it can be to fall asleep.
Then while we are asleep; we are unaware of our surroundings and helpless. We are indeed at the mercy of Allah Ta’ala more than ever.
Then waking up; when the time comes to wake up, we again are not in control. It is only Allah Ta’ala who allows us to wake up and live another day.
It is for these and many other reasons vital that we read the dua as taught to us by our amazing Nabi ﷺ.
The basic dua before sleeping:
The dua to be read before we sleep is:
اللَّهُمَّ بِاسْـمِكَ أَمُوتُ وَأَحْيَا
Allahumma bismika amootu wa-ahya
In Your name O Allah, I live and die.
The basic dua when we wake up
اَلْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذي أَحْيَانَا بَعْدَ مَا أَمَاتَنَا وَإِلَيْهِ النُّشُورُ
Alhamdu lillahil-lathee ahyana ba’da ma amatana wa-ilayhin-nushoor.
All praise is for Allah who gave us life after having taken it from us and unto Him is the resurrection. (Bukhari,Muslim)
Insha’Allah by doing the above we will:
- Sleep and wake up with the remembrance of Allah Ta’ala
- Attract the mercy of Allah Ta’ala
- Gain the reward of following a sunnah
- We will be showing our gratitude for the great blessing of Allah Ta’ala.
Another amazing dua which will guarantee death upon Iman if read before sleeping. Download on your phones and read every night before sleeping.
اَللّٰھُمَّ اَسْلَمْتُ نَفْسِیْ اِلَیْکَ وَوَجَّھْتُ وَجْھِیْ اِلَیْکَ وَفَوَّضْتُ اَمْرِیْ اِلَیْکَ وَاَلْجَأْتُ ظَھْرِیْ اِلَیْکَ رَغْبَۃً وَّرَھْبَۃً اِلَیْکَ، لاَ مَلْجَأ وَلاَ مَنْجَاَ مِنْکَ اِلاَّ اِلَیْکَ، اٰمَنْتُ بِکِتَابِکَ الَّذِیْ اَنْزَلْتَ وَبِنَبِیِّکَ الَّذِیْ اَرْسَلْتَ
Click here to download
Did you know:
If you sleep with wudhu, your soul goes and prostrates before Allah Ta’ala. And if one does not have wudhu the soul is rejected and sent back. (Kitabuz Zuhd of Ibnul Mubarak, Hadith:1245)
Let’s look at a few etiquettes before sleeping which we can all add to our sleeping routine and make it more rewarding and beneficial:
1) Close all doors, windows while reciting bismillah and ensure all food items are covered.
2) Put out anything which may catch alight if left on, such as candles, gass fires etc.
3) Make wudhu before sleeping. If One is unable to make wudhu then tayyamum will suffice.
4) Make miswaak before sleeping and dust one’s bed with one’s clothes or by using the right hand 3 times.
5) To lie down on one’s right side facing the qibla with the right hand resting under one’s cheek and the left hand on one’s left side of the body. Note: We should refrain from sleeping on our stomachs.
6) Recite sleeping duaas, ayatul kursi and 3 kuls 3 times each. Thereafter, blow on the palms and rub it on one’s body 3 times from head to the toe. (Tirmidhi)
7) Recite istigfaar for our wrongdoings.
8) Read tasbeeh fatimah before sleeping which will remove effects of tiredness and hardships. 33 times Subhanallah, 33 times Alhamdulillah, 34 times Allahu Akbar. (Mishkaat) For more details on the benefits of tasbeeh Fatimah, click here
9) Make intention to wake up for tahajjud salah and fajr salah.
10) If one has had a good dream then he should relate it to a learned person so that it can be interpreted correctly and if one has a bad dream or nightmare then one should pray أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم. Then lightly spit or blow on the left side 3 times, change sides and sleep. Do not mention the dream to anyone and Insha’Allah no harm should come to the person.
Upon awakening, there are some etiquettes we should try to adhere to also! Let’s have a read of them:
1) Rub the eyes with the palms of the hands.
2) Recite the dua as of waking up.
3) Use miswaak and wash one’s hands.
4) Make wudhu and perform Fajr and or 2 rakat tahiyyatul wudhu.
Did you know:
By reciting ayatul kursi before sleeping, Allah Ta’aala sends an angel to protect us through out the night. (Sahih Bukhari). Click here to learn more about ayatul kursi.