Sayyiduna Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Great Companions Series – Sayyiduna Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه ” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Name: Sayyiduna Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه
Born: 25 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (28 BH)
Demise: 25 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (36 AH)
● Zubayr رضي الله عنه the son of Awwam was an extremely brave and a courageous companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● He was the first cousin of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, through his mother, Safiyyyah bint Abdul Muttalib رضي الله عنها who was the paternal aunt of our beloved Nabi ﷺ (meaning she was the sister of our beloved Nabi ﷺ’s father)
● He was invited to Islam by Sayyiduna Abu Bakr al-Siddiq رضي الله عنه and despite his young age, he accepted Islam. It is said he was the 5th person to accept Islam.
● Sayyiduna Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه is among the Asharah Mubasharah (the 10 sahaba who were given glad tidings of Jannah) and is also one of the few sahaba who had the honour of participating in all the battles.
● He was the first person to draw his sword in defence of Islam.
● His bravery and courage can be understood from the battle of the Trenches, when he was the first person to offer himself to the risky task of investigating the plan of the enemies.
● Due to his courage and support for Islam and our beloved Nabi ﷺ, he was the only sahabi given the title of Hawaari حواری (Sincere Disciple) by our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● He was very cautious in matters of deen, and for this reason, narrated very few Ahadeeth out of fear of attributing an incorrect statement towards our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● He was also extremely generous and spent much of his wealth in the path of Allah Ta’ala without thinking much about his own needs.
● During the time of Umar ibn al-Khattab رضي الله عنه, he was among the six people chosen to choose the next Khalifah after his death.
● After our beloved Nabi ﷺ passed away, he remained in Madeenah and continued his services to Islam and in the battle of Jamal, he was martyred.
● He passed away at the age of 65 and is buried in Basra, Iraq
May Allah Ta’ala grant a great amount of reward for all of his services to Rasulullah ﷺ and to deen and give us all the ability to emulate his great companions in every way.
To be continued next week…
Insha’Allah next week we will cover the very special merits and qualities of this great companion رضي الله عنه