Sayyiduna Mus'ab Ibn Umayr رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Great Companions Series – Sayyiduna Mus’ab Ibn Umayr رضي الله عنه ” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Name: Sayyiduna Mus’ab Ibn Umayr رضي الله عنه
Born: 18 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (37 BH)
Demise: 8 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (3 AH)
● Sayyiduna Mus’ab the son of Umayr was a very handsome, wealthy and intelligent companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ
● He was born to a wealthy family and was brought up in great luxury and comfort and would walk the streets wearing the best garments and perfumes.
● He accepted Islam in the very early days of our beloved Nabi ﷺ’s prophethood. Out of fear of his family, he kept it a secret but they soon came to know and tortured him.
● He was known for his intelligence from a very young age and for this reason, he was allowed to join the senior gatherings of the Quraysh.
● He received the title of ‘Safeer Al Islaam’ – The Ambassador of Islam when he became the first person to be sent as an ambassador to Madeenah, which at the time was known as Yathrib. He was sent to educate and teach the people about Islam.
● He was further honoured with the opportunity to lead the first-ever Jumu’ah salah in Madeenah.
● Sayyiduna Mus’ab ibn Umayr رضي الله عنه carried out both the Hijrah, first to Abyssinia and then to Madeenah and was the first person to migrate to Madeenah
● He participated in the battle of Badr and the Battle of Uhud and was honoured to be the flag bearer in both battles. It was in the battle of Uhud where he was martyred. He passed away while still holding on to the flag and reciting a verse of the Glorious Qur’an.
● When he was shrouded, there was only one sheet on his body. It was so small, that when his head was covered, his feet became exposed; and when his feet were covered his head became exposed. Eventually, the sheet was used to cover his head and Idhkhir (a type of grass) was used to cover his feet.
● He passed away at the approximate age of 40 and is buried in Madeenah near Mount Uhad.
May Allah Ta’ala grant a great amount of reward for all of his services to Rasulullah ﷺ and to our deen and give us all the ability to emulate his great companions in every way.
To be continued next week…
Insha’Allah next week we will cover the very special merits and qualities of this great companion رضي الله عنه