Memorise and practice a new hadeeth every week!
By Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
The Importance of staying clean
الطَّهُورُ شَطْرُ الْإِيمَانِ
Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ said, “Cleanliness is half of Imaan (Faith)”
Cleanliness is very important for every person and for a Muslim it is even more important because it forms a part of their Iman.
Not only this, but many actions of worship require cleanliness and many virtues and rewards have been mentioned related to actions which bring cleanliness. (why not click here to learn about the benefits of making wudhu)
Angles of mercy and protection remain with a person who is clean. So cleanliness should be given a lot of importance.
Now the question is, in what way does Allah Ta’ala like us to stay clean and what can we do to stay clean?
Let us look at a few areas cleanliness can apply to:
1) Cleanliness of the body
A believer will remain clean at all times and will use the special acts of wudhu, ghusl, method of Istinja (washing after relieving oneself), miswak and removing unwanted hair to attain cleanliness.
2) Cleanliness of the clothes
A believer is particular about his/her dress and ensures clothing is clean at all times. Not only from odour and dust/dirt but more importantly from all forms of impurities (known as najasah).
3) Cleanliness of one’s surroundings
A believer keeps one’s home, bedroom, classroom, workplace, masjid clean at all times. To emphasise the importance of this, our beloved Nabi ﷺ went as far as to encourage the cleaning of one’s garden.
4) Cleanliness of the mind and heart
A believer does not entertain filthy or corrupt thoughts, nor does he commit sins. We learn that sins add black spots to a person’s heart. The mind and heart is cleansed through regular zikr, tawbah, recitation of the Quran, Sadaqah and Salah. Every effort should be made to remain clean at all times by not doing wrong and doing as much good as possible.
5) Adopt beauty for Allah Ta’ala likes beauty
With all of the above cleanliness in place, a person should work to enhance their beauty in both the character and body. A person may through wearing nice clothing etc. work to beautify the body.
● Keep clean and pure at all times.
● Make Istinja and do ghusl and wudhu properly.
● Our body, clothes, surroundings including home and work/school/masjid, front yard, stationery and books etc must all be kept clean and tidy at all times.
● Our mind and heart too should remain clean by staying away from wrong actions and regularly making tawbah, and engaging in zikr and performing salah.
● We should adorn ourselves within permissible means and also adorn our character.
● We must remember that the angels of mercy and protection remain with a person who is clean.