By Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Memorise and practice a Hadeeth every week
from the collection of 40 Ahadeeth by Shaykhul Hadeeth Mawlana Muhammad Saleem Dhorat sahib Hafizahullah.
You would cry more if you knew
لَوْ تَعْلَمُوْنَ مَا أَعْلَمُ لَضَحِكْتُمْ قَلِيْلًا وَلَبَكَيْتُمْ كَثِيْرًا
Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ said,
“If you knew what I know, you would have surely laughed less and cried more.”
A person only laughs excessively when he is free from worry. However, when overcome with worry, illness or grief etc, suddenly the appetite to joke and laugh disappears and he feels more inclined to cry than laugh.
From this Hadeeth our beloved Nabi ﷺ tells his believing Ummah that if a believer was to truly understand the reality of the after life then he too would laugh little and cry more. In fact he would be in even greater worry and grief than the person suffering some loss in this world because this world and all its hardships are temporary and the Hereafter and all its hardships are eternal.
What we learn from this Hadeeth?
1) The Hereafter and what awaits us is not something to forget. We should remain in constant thought over it and prepare for it.
2) The more we understand the reality of the Hereafter, the less we will feel inclined to laugh and joke.
3) It is a favour of Allah Ta’ala that the full reality of the Hereafter is concealed from us. Otherwise, we would share little happiness and a lot of grief.
4) As we learn from other Ahadeeth, the best way to refrain from sin is to remain mindful of the life after death.
5) As harmless as it seems we learn that excessive laughter kills the heart (worry of the Hereafter) and removes Noor (shine) from a person’s face.
6) Despite having seen the Hereafter, our beloved Nabi ﷺ still maintained a smiling face and would even share occasional jokes with his companions. This is an example of his amazing character!
7) Excessive laughter is a sign of someone who is carefree and doesn’t have to worry about anything.
8) A sign of a person becoming closer to Allah Ta’ala is that he will spend some time crying (due to thinking of Allah Ta’ala and the Hereafter) and less time laughing.