A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Sayyiduna Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه ” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Who is Sayyiduna Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه ?
- Name: Sayyiduna Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه
- Born: 25 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (28 BH)
- Demise: 25 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (36 AH)
● Zubayr رضي الله عنه the son of Awwam, was an extremely brave and a courageous companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● He was the first cousin of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, through his mother, Safiyyyah bint Abdul Muttalib رضي الله عنها who was the paternal aunt of our beloved Nabi ﷺ (meaning she was the sister of our beloved Nabi ﷺ’s father)
● He was invited to Islam by Sayyiduna Abu Bakr al-Siddiq رضي الله عنه and despite his young age, he accepted Islam. It is said he was the 5th person to accept Islam.
● Sayyiduna Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه is among the Asharah Mubasharah (the 10 sahaba who were given glad tidings of Jannah) and is also one of the few sahaba who had the honour of participating in all the battles.
● He was the first person to draw his sword in defence of Islam.
● His bravery and courage can be understood from the battle of the Trenches, when he was the first person to offer himself to the risky task of investigating the plan of the enemies.
● Due to his courage and support for Islam and our beloved Nabi ﷺ, he was the only sahabi given the title of Hawaari حواری (Sincere Disciple) by our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● He was very cautious in matters of deen, and for this reason, narrated very few Ahadeeth out of fear of attributing an incorrect statement towards our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● He was also extremely generous and spent much of his wealth in the path of Allah Ta’ala without thinking much about his own needs.
● During the time of Umar ibn al-Khattab رضي الله عنه, he was among the six people chosen to choose the next Khalifah after his death.
● After our beloved Nabi ﷺ passed away, he remained in Madeenah and continued his services to Islam and in the battle of Jamal, he was martyred.
● He passed away at the age of 65 and is buried in Basra, Iraq
May Allah Ta’ala grant a great amount of reward for all of his services to Rasulullah ﷺ and to deen and give us all the ability to emulate his great companions in every way.
Turn over and read
1) Zubayr ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه was very brave and courageous.
2) He was very pious
3) He was very firm on Iman
4) He was extremely generous.
1) Sayyiduna Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه was among the Asharah Mubasharah and he was among the six people chosen to choose the next Khalifah after Sayyiduna Umar’s رضي الله عنه death.
2) He was the first person to draw his sword in defence of Islam.
3) He accepted Islam at a very young age. His father’s brother would tie him and ignite a fire saying: return to your old religion but he would never reply!
4) He participated in every battle which our beloved Nabi ﷺ participated in.
5) Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said, “Verily, every Nabi had a disciple, and verily, my disciple is Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه
6) During the Battle of Badr, our beloved Nabi ﷺ said, the Angels came to assist the Muslims in the appearance of Zubayr Ibn Awwam رضي الله عنه wearing a yellow turban.
7) He was from the very few sahaba whom our beloved Nabi ﷺ said فداك ابي وامي (May my father and mother be sacrificed for you)
8) Sayyiduna Ali رضي الله عنه said, “My ears heard from the beloved mouth of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, that Talha and Zubayr will be my neighbours in Jannah.” (Tirmidhi)