A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Umar Ibn Al Khattab رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Umar Ibn Al Khatttab رضي الله عنه” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Who is Umar Ibn Al-Khattab رضي الله عنه ?
- Name : Umar Ibn Al-Khattab رضي الله عنه
- Born: 13 years after the birth of Nabi sallalahu alayhi wasallam (40 BH)
- Demise: 12 years after the demise of Nabi sallalahu alayhi wasallam (2 AH)
●Umar the son of Al-Khattab was a very close and loyal companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
●He was also known as Al Farooq (meaning: the one who distinguishes between right and wrong). This was a title given to him by our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● Upon the dua of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, he accepted Islam in the 6th year of prophethood. He was 33 years old at the time.
● After accepting Islam he very quickly gave the Muslims encouragement to openly worship Allah Ta’ala.
● He was also honoured to become the father in law of our beloved Nabi ﷺ when his daughter Hafsah رضي الله عنها accepted Islam.
●He was among the asharah mubasharah (the 10 sahaba given the good news of Jannah) and was the second Khalifa after Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه
●His love for Nabi ﷺ had no bounds and throughout his life, he stood as a pillar of support for him throughout his blessed life.
●After our nabi ﷺ passed away he stood by and supported Abubakr رضي الله عنه and then when he was appointed caliph himself he took this responsibility with great devotion and saw Islam spread far and wide
●He was martyred at the age of 63 and like Abu Bakr As Siddiq رضي الله عنه he was given the honour of being buried next to our beloved Nabi ﷺ
1) Sayyiduna Umar Ibn Al-Khattab رضي الله عنه was known for his strength of character and love for truth.
2) He was responsible for any duty allocated to him and would take His duty to Allah Ta’ala seriously.
3) He was strong, brave and feared, but at heart was soft, caring and very fearful of Allah Ta’ala.
4) He had a talent to make correct judgements and take good decisions and many times would share his thoughts with our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
5) He was very knowledgeable and pious.
● Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه reported: The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said, “O Allah, strengthen Islam with one of two men whom you love more: Abu Jahl or Umar ibn al-Khattab.” Abdullah Ibn Umar رضي الله عنه said, “The most beloved of the two was Umar.” (Tirmidhi)
● Tariq ibn Shihab reported: Umar ibn al-Khattab رضي الله عنه said, “Verily, we were a disgraceful people and Allah honoured us with Islam. If we seek honour from anything besides that with which Allah honoured us, Allah will disgrace us.” (Al-Mustadrak)
● Abbad ibn ‘Abbad reported: Umar ibn al-Khattab رضي الله عنه said, “May Allah have mercy on the one who shows me my faults.”
● When Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه accepted Islam, Jibraeel Alaihis Salam descent and said: يا محمد لقد استبشر أهل السماء بإسلام عمر – “O Muhammad ﷺ! Indeed the residents of the heavens are rejoicing in Umar`s رضي الله عنه embracing Islam.” (Sunan Ibn Majah)
● Our beloved Nabi ﷺ went out and entered the masjid with Abu Bakr and Umar, one on his right hand and the other on his left, holding their hands. Then he said: هكذا نبعث يوم القيامة
“We will be raised thus on the Day of Resurrection.” (Tirmidhi)
● Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said, “إن الله جعل الحق على لسان عمر وقلبه
“Indeed, Allah Ta’ala has placed truth upon Umar`s رضي الله عنه tongue and heart.” (Sunan Tirmidhi)
● Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said, “If there were to be a prophet after me, indeed he would be Umar, son of Khattab. (Tirmidhi)