A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Umm Kulthoom bint Muhammad رضي الله عنها
Listen to “Sayyidah Safiyyah Bint Huyayy رضي الله عنه ” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Who is Sayyidah Umm Kulthoom bint Muhammad رضي الله عنها ?
Name: Sayyidah Umm Kulthoom bint Muhammad رضي الله عنها
Born: 34 years after the birth of our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (21 BH)
Demise: 2 years before the demise our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (9 AH)
● Sayyidah Umm Kulthoom رضي الله عنها was the third of our beloved Nabi ﷺ beloved daughters and was a year younger than Sayyidah Ruqayyah رضي الله عنها.
● She was born 6 years before our beloved Nabi ﷺ was granted prophethood.
● She was known for her patience and forbearance.
● She accepted Islam at a very young age along with her beloved mother, Khadeejah bint Khuwaylid رضي الله عنهما.
● She first married Utaybah, who was the son of Abu Lahab. When Allah Ta’ala blessed our beloved Nabi ﷺ with Prophethood, she accepted Islam while he stayed on his father’s religion and due to his enmity towards Islam, he divorced her before the consummation of the marriage.
● She then lived with our beloved Nabi ﷺ for a few years and took the responsibility of the household chores of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● When her sister, Sayyidah Ruqayyah رضي الله عنها passed away, she married Sayyiduna Uthman Ibn Affan رضي الله عنه.
● They both lived for six years together during which time they had no children.
In one Hadeeth we learn that our beloved Nabi ﷺ said : “I did not marry Uthmaan رضي الله عنه to Umm Kulthoom except by Wahy (revelation) from the heavens.” (Majma’uz Zawaa’id)
● Our beloved Nabi ﷺ, with his perfect character, gave her an excellent upbringing. He instilled piety, kindness, patience and countless other excellent qualities and characteristics within her.
● Sayyidah Umm Kulthoom رضي الله عنها passed away in the 9th year of Hijrah, at a young age in Madeenah. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ was very much grieved by her demise. Our beloved Nabi then ﷺ led the Janazah Salah and she is buried in Jannatul Baqi. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ sat near her grave while tears were flowing from his eyes.
May Allah grant her a lofty status in Jannah and may Allah Ta’ala accept all of her services to deen and reward her on our behalf.