A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Who is Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه ?
- Name: Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه
- Born: 12 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (40 BH)
- Demise: 7 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (18 AH)
● Abu Ubaydah رضي الله عنه, the son of Abdullah, was an extremely brave, courageous and a very humble companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● His full name is Amir ibn Abdullah ibn al-Jarrah, but he became famous as Abu Ubaydah ibn al-Jarrah.
● He accepted Islam in the very early days of Islam at the age of 28.
● He is also among the Asharah Mubasharah (the 10 sahaba who were promised Jannah).
● He was honoured with the opportunity to perform Hijrah twice, first to Abyssinia and then to Madeenah al-Munawwarah.
● He also had the honour of participating in all the major battles during his lifetime where he fought very courageously. He was very skilled in shooting arrows.
● His position can be understood from the battle of Uhud, during which he stayed steadfast and fought bravely and protected our Beloved Nabi ﷺ. He lost two of his front teeth while trying to remove two links of armour that had sunk into the blessed cheeks of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● He was given the title ‘ امین ھذہ الأمة’ (the trustworthy one of this ummah). This was as a result of the trustworthy nature of Abu Ubaydah رضي الله عنه.
● His trust and position in the eyes of Allah and his Rasool ﷺ can be understood from the fact that he was sent as a governor/ leader to many places to teach people about deen and attend to the affairs of the people.
● During the time of Umar ibn al-Khattab رضي الله عنه, he was among the six people chosen to choose the next Khalifah.
● In 18 AH, a plague spread in Shaam and Abu Ubaydah رضي الله عنه fell ill with this plague and passed away at the age of 58. Sayyiduna Muadh Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه performed his Janazah salah and He is buried in Shaam.
May Allah Ta’ala grant a great amount of reward for all of his services to Rasulullah ﷺ and to deen and give us all the ability to emulate his great companions in every way.
Turn over and read
1) Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه was extremely courageous and brave
2) He had great leadership skills
3) He had little interest with the things of this world.
4) He was very trusty worthy
Turn over and read
1) Abu Ubaydah Ibn al- Jarrah رضي الله عنه is among the Asharah Mubasharah (the 10 sahaba who were promised Jannah)
2) He was given the title ’The Trustworthy one of the Ummah’,
3) He was also amongst the 6 Sahabah that Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه appointed after his demise to choose the next caliph.
4) He was described by our beloved Nabi ﷺ as an ‘Excellent Man’.
5) He was fortunate to carry out the hijrah and participated in all the battles.
6) He was made Leader and governor many times due to his praiseworthy qualities.
Sayyiduna Abu Hurayrah رضي الله عنه says that our beloved Nabi ﷺ said, “What a great man Abu Bakr is. What a great man Umar is. What a great man Abu Ubaydah is.” (Tirmidhi)
Sayyiduna Anas Ibn Malik رضي الله عنه reported that Nabi ﷺ said: “Verily, Every Ummah has an Ameen (a true worthy man) and the ameen of Our Ummah is Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah.” (Bukhari, Muslim)
Sayyiduna Hudhayfah Ibn Yamaan رضي الله عنه says that the people of Najran came to our beloved Nabi ﷺ and requested him to appoint an ameen over them and send him to them. He said, “ I will appoint an ameen who is rightly a trustworthy person.” The people looked expectantly to be appointed, but he appointed and sent Abu Ubaydah Ibn al Jarrah رضي الله عنه to Najran. (Saheeh Bukhari)
Abu Mulaikah says, “I heard `A’isha رضي الله عنها as saying, she was asked as to whom Allah’s Messenger ﷺ would have nominated as his successor if he had to nominate one.
She said: Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه. It was said to her: Then whom after Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه? She said: `Umar رضي الله عنه. It was said to her. Then whom after `Umar رضي الله عنه? She said: Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه, and then she kept quiet at this.
Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه says: If Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه was alive, I would have nominated him as the Khalifah after me, and I would not have consulted anyone. If I was asked about it then I would have said that I have nominated one who was ameen in the sight of Allah ta’ala and His Messenger.”
Once when Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه went to meet Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah Ibn Al Jarrah رضي الله عنه and others in Syria, during the conquest of Jerusalem, he was happy when he saw that he was humbly dressed.
Even though the Muslims gained much booty under him, when Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه went to his home, he saw that he had no possessions except a bed, a sword and a shield saying that it was enough for him. He asked him: “Do you have any food?
So, Sayyiduna Abu Ubaydah رضي الله عنه stood up and presented Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه with some pieces of bread. Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه cried and later on said: “The dunya has changed us all except you O Abu Ubaydah!