By Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Memorise and practice a Hadeeth every week
from the collection of 40 Ahadeeth by Shaykhul Hadeeth Mawlana Muhammad Saleem Dhorat sahib Hafizahullah.
Perfecting Iman through Good Akhlaq
أَكْمَلُ الْمُؤْمِنِيْنَ إِيْمَانًا أَحْسَنُهُمْ خُلُقًا
Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ said,
“The most perfect believer is the one with the best character”
At-Tirmidhi & Abu Dawud
A believer is always looking at ways to become better and closer to Allah Ta’ala. For this, he studies the Qur’an and the ahadith of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and overtime becomes better and better.
One important part of the teachings of the Qur’an and Hadith is good Akhlaq (Good morals and characters). So to become better and closer to Allah Ta’ala a person is required to have good Akhlaq and good character.
From this Hadeeth, we learn that good character is so important that without it, a person’s Iman will not be complete.
What we learn from this Hadeeth?
1) Iman is ever-changing (becoming stronger and weaker) and is affected by our actions good and bad.
2) Good Akhlaq has a very close connection with our Iman. Improving our Akhlaq will automatically make our Iman stronger and more perfect Insha’allah.
3) We should work to improve our character by adopting good habits and removing bad. This will come by:
A) Following the commands of Allah Ta’ala.
B) Dhikr and Ibadah.
C) Studying the Qur’an and Hadith.
D) Studying the life of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, the Sahabah and the lives of the pious.
E) Staying in the company of the pious.
F) Making Du’a to Allah Ta’ala.
G) If we find a fault in our character then to rectify it.
4) Akhlaq is not just something optional or praiseworthy. It is in fact an essential part of Islam.
5) Akhlaq is not just being nice to people. It is central to everything a person does. It is a quality of the heart and it enables a life of obedience to Allah Ta’ala.
6) A believer shouldn’t just be content on having Iman. His aim should be to make it perfect.
7) All believers have different levels of Iman. Those who continuously strive to do good will have a higher level of Iman than those who are always doing wrong.
8) Along with Iman, good actions and good inner qualities are necessary. Just having Iman isn’t enough.
9) It is not for us to judge who is good or bad. Everyone’s Iman is concealed and only Allah Ta’ala knows the condition of everyone’s Iman.
10) As Iman has different levels, we should make Du’a to Allah Ta’ala to strengthen our Iman and make it perfect.
Understanding the Importance of Akhlaq:
1) Allah Ta’ala praises our beloved Nabi ﷺ by saying:
Verily, you (O Muhammad ﷺ) are upon great character. (al-Qalam 68:4)
2) Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said:
Verily, I have only been sent to perfect righteous character. (Ahmad)
3) Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said:
Behave with good character toward the people. (Tirmidhi)
4) Fudayl ibn Iyadh rahimahullah said:
If you mix with people, then mix with good character for it invites to good. Do not mix with bad character, for it invites to evil. (Hilyat al-Awliya)
5) Ibn Al-Qayyim writes:
The religion itself is entirely good character, so whoever surpasses you in character has surpassed you in religion. (Madarij al-Salikeen)
6) Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said:
The best of you are those with the best character. (Bukhari)
7) Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said:
Nothing is heavier upon the scale of the believer on the Day of Resurrection than his good character. Verily, Allah hates the shameless, obscene person. (Tirmidhi)
8) Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said:
Shall I tell you about the most beloved to me and the closest to my assembly on the Day of Resurrection? Those with the best character.
9) A special Du’a for good character:
ْاللّٰهُمَّ حَسَّنْتَ خَلْقِيْ فَحَسِّنْ خُلُقِي
O Allah, you have made my form excellent, so make my character excellent. (Ahmad)
An example of Good Akhlaq
Sayyidah ‘A’ishah radhiyallahu anha has said that there are ten noble traits of character:
1) Speaking the truth.
2) [Having] True courage/strength when it comes to the obedience of Allah Ta’ala.
3) Giving to the needy.
4) Returning a good favour.
5) Maintaining family ties.
6) Taking care of and returning a trust [something kept by you for safekeeping].
7) Being good to the neighbour [stand up for him and protect his dignity].
8) Being good to one’s companion [stand up for him and protect his dignity].
9) Hosting and looking after the guest well.
10) And the best of them [i.e. these traits] is Modesty.