Make Date Flapjacks
Today we have a very exciting activity for you.
We will be making Date Flapjacks which is made using dates which our beloved Nabi ﷺ liked and ate regularly.
Let us first learn a little about this special sunnah food.
● Dates are from the many food items our beloved Nabi ﷺ enjoyed and praised
● We should eat dates regularly with the intention of it being from amongst the Sunnah foods and also use it in recipes where possible.
● Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said:
“People in a house without dates are in a state of hunger.” (Muslim)
● Our beloved Nabi ﷺ ate dates in the following manner:
1) Our beloved Nabi ﷺ would open the date to remove its pit (and check it was clean and had no insects).
2) He would remove the pit with his index finger and thumb.
3) He would eat odd number of dates.
● TRY THIS! Eat dates with other food items with cooling properties. Some examples of how our beloved Nabi ﷺ ate dates is:
– Dates with cream
– Dates with cucumber
– Dates with watermelon or muskmelon
– Dates with ghee, butter or cheese
● He would soak dates in water and drink that water.
● From the many types of dates, ‘Ajwa’ has been praised:
● It is from paradise
● Eat 7 Ajwa dates in the morning, it will save you from poison or black magic till the evening.
Now let use dates and make our delicious date flapjacks!
You will need:
● 250 grams Butter
● 2 Tbls golden syrup
● 3 Cups Oats
● 3/4 Cup Sugar
● 1 Cup Plain Flour
● 1 tsp Baking powder
● 1 Cup Coconut
● 1/2 Cup chopped dates
Let’s get started!
1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3 or on a electric fan oven 160 degrees.
2. Firstly measure out ingredients using our downloadable sheet. Click here to download
3. Next, Melt the butter in a medium-size pot and after it is thoroughly melted add all the ingredients into this and mix everything till well combined.
4. Empty the flap jack’s filling in a medium size baking tray and flatten the filling with the back of the spoon equally.
5. Bake in the oven for approximately 20-25 min till golden brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes in room temperature.
6. Make slight cuts for your pieces. Finally when thoroughly cooled then remove the pieces and enjoy!