A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Abu Bakr As Siddeeq رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Abu Bakr As Siddeeq رضي الله عنه” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Who is Abu Bakr As-Siddiq رضي الله عنه?
- Name: Abubakr Siddiq رضي الله عنه
- Titles: As-Siddeeq
- Born: 2 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam
- Demise: 2 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam
● Abu Bakr As-Siddiq’s رضي الله عنه real name is Abdullah Ibn Abi Quhafah and he was born 2 years after our beloved Rasool ﷺ and he passed away 2 years after our beloved Nabi ﷺ. So, his age at the time of his passing away was exactly the same as our beloved Rasool ﷺ.
● Abubakr رضي الله عنه was a very humble and truthful companion of our beloved Rasool ﷺ and this truthfulness gave him the title As-Siddiq (the truthful one).
● This ‘truthful one’ title was not only because he always spoke the truth but it was also because he helped in the mission of our beloved Nabi ﷺ. When it came to supporting our beloved Nabi ﷺ he was always very honest in his word to our beloved Nabi ﷺ and he was also very devoted to our beloved Nabi ﷺ. We learn this lesson throughout his life when our beloved Nabi ﷺ invited people towards Islam, he was the first man to accept Islam.
● When our beloved Nabi ﷺ undertook a very dangerous journey from Makkah to Madeenah his life was in danger, he left from Makkah to migrate to Madeenah. This was a very historical journey. It was in this journey, due to his truthfulness, Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه was chosen as the companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● When our beloved Nabi ﷺ gave glad tidings to 10 sahaba of Jannah – these 10 sahaba are known as Ashara e Mubasharah (the 10 Sahaba who were given the glad tidings and the good news of Jannah). Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه was one of these 10 companions.
● One of the great qualities Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه had was his extreme love for rasulullah ﷺ. He had immense love for our beloved Nabi ﷺ. It was because of this love he always stayed by the side of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and always supported him. He never gave up on our beloved Nabi ﷺ and even after our beloved Nabi ﷺ passed away he continued the work of our beloved Nabi ﷺ. At the time of the demise of beloved Nabi ﷺ there was panic and chaos and great companions like Umar رضي الله عنه did not know what to do, but at this stage Abubakr رضي الله عنه stood up and gave a short talk and calmed all of the people down.
● He was nominated and chosen to be the leader of the Muslims which we know as the Khalifa.
● There were 4 rightly chosen Khalifa (Khulafa e rashideen- The rightly guided Khulafa). He was the first of these 4 and he remained Khalifa for 2 years because he passed away after 2 years.
● He looked after the Muslims and he handled his responsibility very well. He he passed away at the age of 63. After his demise he was given a special honour that he was chosen to be buried next to our beloved Nabi ﷺ. So, throughout his life he was next to our beloved Nabi ﷺ and even after he passed away he’s now resting next to our beloved Rasool ﷺ.
May Allah give us the all the tawfeeq to love these special companions of our beloved Nabi ﷺ and May Allah give us the tawfeeq to learn from their lives and to lead very good lives and become special in the eyes of Allah ta’ala like they did.
Turn over and read
1) Sayyidah Sawdah رضي الله عنها was very generous and would spend whatever she could on the poor.
2.) She was humorous and was known to make our beloved Nabi ﷺ laugh.
3.) She was known for her kind-heartedness and her giving preference to others over herself.
4.) She was noble and honourable and was respected by many companions.
Turn over and read
1.) He was the first man to accept Islam
2.) Accompanied our beloved Nabi during the Hijrah (Migration) to Madinah.
3.) Is amongst the Ashara' Mubashara (ten companions given glad tidings of Jannah).
4.) Was the first Khalifa of the Muslims
Sayyiduna Abu Hurayrah رضي الله عنه reports that Rasulullah ﷺ once said:
“Who among you is fasting today?’ Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه replied, ‘I am.’
He asked, ‘Who among you followed a Janazah today?’ Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه said, ‘I did.’
He asked, ‘Who among you has fed a needy person today?’ Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه said, ‘I did.’
He asked, ‘Who among you visited a sick person today?’ Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه replied, ‘I did.’
Upon this, Rasulullah ﷺ said: ‘None carries out all these [good deeds] except that he will enter Jannah.’”
(Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 1028)
Sayyidah ‘Aaishah رضي الله عنها says,
‘Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه had a slave who used to pay him a levy from his earnings and Sayyiduna Abu Bakr would eat from this. One day he brought something and Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه ate from it.
The slave asked him, ‘Do you know what this is?’ Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه said, ‘What is it?’ He said, ‘During my days of ignorance, I used to be a soothsayer for a man. I was not good at this, I would only deceive him. He met me and he gave me something for that service and that is what you have eaten from.’
Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه inserted his hand into his mouth and vomited all that he had in his stomach.”
(Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 3842)
Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه reported: The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said,
“Anyone who spends a pair in the way of Allah will be called from all the gates of Paradise: O servant of Allah, this is good!
The people of prayer will be called from the gate of prayer, the people of jihad will be called from the gate of jihad, the people of fasting will be called from the gate of al-Rayyan, and the people of charity will be called from the gate of charity.”
Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه said, “One who is called from all those gates would need nothing. Will anyone be called from all those gates, O Messenger of Allah ﷺ?”
The Prophet ﷺ said, “Yes, and I hope you will be among them, O Abu Bakr.”
(Sahih al-Bukhārī 3466, Sahih Muslim 1027)