Etiquettes of Using the Toilet
Below are some etiquettes of using the toilet and also the dua for when leaving the toilet:
1) Before entering the toilet, ensure any items that have the name of Allah Ta’ala, His beloved Nabi ﷺ or any verse of the Glorious Qur’an is removed and left outside.
2) Read the du’a and it is good practice to cover the head.
3) Enter with the left foot. As we have learnt previously, we use our left side for actions which are inferior and unpleasant.
4) Wear slippers in the toilet.
Note: We wear the right footwear first but enter with the left foot. Be mindful of this.
5) Do not face or show the back towards the qibla whilst relieving one’s self.
6) Whilst in the toilet avoid talking and likewise, do not utter the name of Allah Ta’aala or Nabi ﷺ
7) After relieving oneself we must clean ourselves.
- a) First use tissue paper to remove filth (use left hand)
- b) Then wash with water. Pour water with the right hand and wash with the left.
- c) Dry with tissue paper.
8) Whilst relieving oneself, take special care to ensure no urine drops splash on our body. Our merciful Nabi ﷺ has said one of the main causes of punishment in the grave is not being careful with drops of urine.
9) Ensure nobody is able to look at you whilst relieving yourself.
10) After finishing in the toilet, it is important to leave the toilet in a clean manner for the next person to use. Clean the seat and ensure you have flushed the toilet properly.
11) The hands should be washed properly.
12) When exiting the toilet, leave with the right foot first.
13) Once outside the following dua:
غُفْرَانَكَ الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَذْهَبَ عَنِّي الْأَذَى وَعَافَانِي
Translation: “(O Allah) I seek forgiveness and pardon from You”. All Praise be to Allah, who has taken away from me discomfort and granted me relief”. (Mishkat)