Dua for parents
From the crowd of people who surround us daily, there are none more special and worthy of our attention, love and respect than our parents.
They truly are an amazing gift from Allah Ta’ala, for the way they love us, look after us, sacrifice for us and show amazing amounts of kindness and affection to us. So what can we do for them? Well one simple thing we can do for them is make dua for them!
Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ has taught us a beautiful dua which is a verse from the Glorious Qur’an:
Dua for parents
رَّبِّ ٱرْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِى صَغِيرًا
Rabbi irhamhuma kama rabbayani sagheera
Translation: “My lord! Be merciful to them as they raised me when I was young.” [Surah Al-Isra, Ayah 24]
Lessons from this dua:
1) We will always remain indebted to our parents for all they have done for us.
2) Mercy is a very special blessing of Allah Ta’ala and we should ask for Allah Ta’ala’s Mercy for ourselves and for all those around us.
3) When someone does a favour upon us we shouldn’t forget it and we should also try to repay it, at least through dua.
4) No matter what we do, we can never repay our parents.
5) We should continually make du’a for forgiveness and mercy for our parents.
Some basic acts of kindness to parents:
1) Be respectful to them.
2) Never speak back or show dislike to anything they say or do.
3) Obey them.
4) Serve them and care for them.
5) Pray (make dua) for them.
6) Become a means of Sadaqah al-Jariyah for them.
7) Do nafl actions and give them the reward for it.
8) Speak politely with gentleness to them.
9) Think regularly about what they have done for us.
10) After their demise, keep good relations with their friends and family.