A Glimpse in to the life, merits and qualities of a great companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ, Uthman Ibn Affan رضي الله عنه
Listen to “Uthman Ibn Affan رضي الله عنه” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Who is Uthman Ibn Affan رضي الله عنه ?
- Name : Uthman Ibn Affan رضي الله عنه
- Born: 6 Years after Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (47 BH)
- Demise: 24 years after demise of Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (35 AH)
● Uthman the son of Affan was a noble and modest companion of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● He received two titles. One being Zun Noorayn (meaning the possessor of two lights) as he had the great fortune of marrying two daughters of our beloved Nabi ﷺ (married umme kulthum after Ruqayyah passed away).
● The other title was Ghani (generous) as he spent much of his wealth for the cause of Islam.
● Upon the invitation of his close friend Abubakr as Siddiq رضي الله عنه Uthman رضي الله عنه became the fourth person to accept Islam at the age of 34.
● He bravely represented the Muslims as an ambassador during the treaty of Hudaybiyyah and was among the 10 sahaba to receive glad tidings of Jannah.
● He was well known for his piety and fear of Allah, and considered the most modest of the Sahaba.
● He was nominated the 3rd Khalifa after the demise of Umar رضي الله عنه and remained Khalifa for 12 years.
● During this reign, Islam spread as far as Turkey and North Africa. He was martyred at the age of 82 while reciting the Quran and was buried in Jannatul Baqi.
Turn over and read
1) He was exceptionally generous spent and a large amount of his wealth to help Islam.
2) Despite being wealthy, he was very modest, lived a very simple life and adopted patience.
3) He was among the few people in Makkah who were educated.
4) He was very kind and caring by nature.
5) He was very pious and spent the nights in prayer and days in fasting.
Sayyiduna Uthman رضي الله عنه despite his high rank in the eyes of Allah Ta’aala and Rasoolullah ﷺ and being among those promised Jannah was extremely fearful of the afterlife.
When he would pass by a grave he would cry and weep so much that his entire beard would be wet with tears.
It was said to him, “You remember Jannah and Jahannam and you do not weep, but you weep because of this?” Sayyiduna Uthman رضي الله عنه said: “The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: ‘The grave is the first stage of the Hereafter. Whoever is saved from it, whatever comes after will be easy for him. If he is not saved from it, whatever comes after will be hard for him”.