Sunnah of Sleeping with Wudhu
We all have different bedtime routines, which includes visiting the bathroom. There is a Sunnah of our beloved Nabi ﷺ which we can all easily follow and include in our bedtime routine. This is the Sunnah of sleeping with Wudhu.
Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said, “When a person sleeps, his soul (Rooh) rises to the Throne (Arsh) of Allah. If he slept with Wudhu, the soul is permitted to make Sajdah (by the Arsh of Allah), and if he slept in the state of impurity, permission for Sajdah is refused.” (Kitabuz Zuhd)
Note: If we already have Wudhu then there is no need to do a fresh Wudhu. However, if one’s Wudhu has broken then the Sunnah will require for us to perform a fresh Wudhu and then to sleep with that Wudhu.
Benefits of following this Sunnah:
1) We will get the blessings and reward of following a Sunnah.
2) Allah Ta’ala will be happy with us.
3) Our soul will be allowed to prostrate in front of the Throne of Allah Ta’ala.
4) An Angel will accompany us and make Du’a for us during the night. (Al-Da’waat al-Kabir)
5) If we pass away in our sleep, we will attain the rank of a Martyr. (Musnad Abi Ya’la)