Today, We will be making Talbina which is a type of porridge recommended by our beloved Nabi ﷺ which is made using dates and barley.
Hadith on Talbina
Sayyidah A’isha رضي الله عنها used to recommend for the sick and for such a person that is in grief.
She used to say, “I heard Allah’s Messenger ﷺ saying, ‘Talbina gives rest to the heart of the patient and makes it active and relieves some of his sorrow and grief.’” (Bukhari)
You will need:
● Water – ¼ mug
● Dates – 5/6
● Barley flour – 1 tbs/ 2 tbs (according to preference of thickness)
● Milk – 1 cup
● Honey (only if needed as the dates will act as a sweetener)
● Cinnamon powder (optional)
Let’s get started!
1. Firstly, soak the dates in the water. Keep them soaked for around 5/ 10 minutes. This will soften the dates up.
2. Once the dates have softened, grind them well in a pestle and mortar to form a paste.
3. Next, put the cooker on medium heat and add the milk into the saucepan.
4. Then add the tablespoon/s of barley flour to the milk.
5. Keep stirring to avoid burning the mixture. Lower the heat once the mixture starts to boil. (You can add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and honey if you prefer at this stage)
6. Finally, add the softened date paste to the mixture and mix well. Turn the cooker off and transfer your Talbina into a bowl. Let the Talbina cool a little before eating.
7. Your Talbina is ready to eat! Enjoy and remember to say Bismillah!