By Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Memorise and practice a Hadeeth every week
from the collection of 40 Ahadeeth by Shaykhul Hadeeth Mawlana Muhammad Saleem Dhorat sahib Hafizahullah.
Iman and Istiqamah
قُلْ آمَنْتُ بِاللَّهِ ثُمَّ اسْتَقِمْ
Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ said,
“Say: “I believe in Allah (Ta’ala)”, thereafter remain steadfast.“
A believer not only believes in Allah Ta’ala, but he says it by tongue (speech) and shows it by action.
From this Hadeeth we learn this that we should regularly say we believe in Allah Ta’ala and with this remain steadfast on our belief in Him by following all His commands.
What we learn from this Hadeeth?
1) A Believer should at all times, both mentally and where required verbally, affirm (remind himself of) His belief in Allah Ta’ala.
2) Saying Allah Ta’ala is our Rabb, reminds us that it is He who looks after us at all times and we are fully indebted to Him and always in need of Him.
3) By reminding ourselves of our belief in Allah Ta’ala, we are also reminding ourselves of the need to obey all His commands and wishes at all times.
4) Istiqamah (Steadfastness in Deen) is a very important part of Deen and every believer should work to always be steadfast.
What is Istiqamah (steadfastness)?
Istiqamah includes the following:
– Having firm belief in Allah Ta’ala.
– Being sincere in all actions we do.
– Remaining firm on the straight path until we leave this world.
– Worshipping Allah Ta’ala till our final breath.
– Safeguarding the commands of Allah Ta’ala and staying away from His disobedience.
– Being honest and truthful with everyone and not deceiving, lying or cheating anyone.
– Taking account of our actions and checking for faults and shortcomings in them.
– Submitting to Allah Ta’ala with heart, body and mind.
A special benefit of following this Hadeeth mentioned in the Qur’an:
إِنَّ الَّذِيْنَ قَالُوْا رَبُّنَا اللّٰهُ ثُمَّ اسْتَقَامُوْا تَتَنَزَّلُ عَلَيْهِمُ الْمَلآٰئِكَةُ أَلَّا تَخَافُوْا وَلَا تَحْزَنُوْا وَأَبْشِرُوْا بِالْجَنَّةِ الَّتِيْ كُنْتُمْ تُوْعَدُوْنَ
1) Those who say, “Our Rabb is Allah!”
2) And then remained steadfast, [on their Iman],
3) on them the angels will descend, [when they are about to die]
4) [The angels will say] “Do not fear; [of the future for what happens after death],
5) and do not grieve [over the past],
6) and be happy with the good news of the Jannah (Paradise) that you had been promised.
(Surah Fussilat, 41:30)