Du’a for Entering and leaving the Masjid
The Masajid are very special places on earth. In fact, they are the most special places and we should be happy whenever we get the opportunity to visit them.
When we visit the first thing we should do is read the Du’a when entering.
This is a special Sunnah of our amazing Nabi ﷺ and will also bring us a lot of benefit from the time we spend whilst in the Masjid.
There are two main times to read the Du’a. One when entering and the other when leaving. Let’s learn both these Du’as and read them regularly.
Dua when entering the masjid
اَللَّهُـمَّ افْتَـحْ لِي أَبْوَابَ رَحْمَتـِكَ
Allahum-maftah lee abwaba rahmatik
Translation: “O Allah, open the gates of Your mercy for me.”
Dua when leaving the masjid
اَللّٰهُمَّ إنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ فَضْلِكَ
Allaahumma ‘innee as’aluka min fadhlik
Translation: “O Allah, I ask for Your favour.”
With reading these Du’as there are a few other Sunnahs we can include:
1) Enter the Masjid with the right foot.
2) Leave (exit) the Masjid with the left foot.
3) Read Bismillah, Durood and seek forgiveness before entering.
In a Hadeeth we find the Du’a for entering the Masjid with these three sunnah included and is recited as follows:
‘Bismillahi Wassalamu ‘Ala Rasulillah, Allahum-maghfirli Dhunubi Waftah Lee Abwaba Rahmatik.’ (Ibn Majah)
4) Similarly when leaving we would read Bismillah , Durood and seek forgiveness which can be done with the following Du’a:
‘Bismillahi Wassalamu ‘Ala Rasulillah, Allahum-maghfirli Dhunubi Waftah Lee Abwaba Fadhlik’ (Ibn Majah)
5) After entering the Masjid read Tahiyyatul Masjid.
6) Engage in Dhikr/Ibadah while in the Masjid.
Benefits for reading the two Du’as:
1) We will get the reward and blessings of a Sunnah.
2) We will enter and spend time with the hope of Allah Ta’ala’s mercy and leave with the hope of Allah Ta’ala’s favours.
3) This Du’a will help us to understand why we enter the Masjid.
4) It will remind us that our action of coming to the Masjid was physical, but to gain anything from the Masjid we need to ask Allah Ta’ala.
Next week we will look at some virtues of the masjid.
Did you know? The word Masjid means place of prostration so we should try to say Masjid instead of Mosque!