Day of Arafah - Virtues and Benefits
The day of Arafah is a very special day in the year. Not only is it a very special and necessary day of hajj, but also a day for reward and forgiveness for everyone around the world.
Let us look at a few benefits and virtues of this special day:
Virtue 1 – One of the best days of the year
Sayyiduna Anas Ibn Malik رضي الله عنه said,
‘It would be said regarding the first ten days of Dhul-Hijjah that every day is equivalent to a thousand days, and the day of Arafah is equivalent to ten thousand days i.e. in virtue.’
Virtue 2 – A day of forgiveness
Sayyiduna Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه reports that Rasulullah ﷺ said,
Indeed, this (i.e. the day of Arafah) is such a (special) day that one who controls his ears, eyes and tongue on this day will be forgiven.
Sayyiduna Abu Qatadah Al-Ansari رضي الله عنه narrated that Rasulullah ﷺ was asked about the fast on the day of ‘Arafah. He said, ‘It compensates for the (minor) sins of the past and the coming year.’
Virtue 3 – A day of freedom from the fire of Jahannam
Sayyidah A’ishah رضي الله عنها reports that Rasulullah ﷺ said, ‘There is no day in which Allah Ta’ala sets free more souls from the fire of hell than on the day of ‘ Arafah . And on that day (the Mercy of) Allah Ta’ala draws near and by way of exhibiting His Pride (for the pilgrims) He remarks to the angels, “What is the desire of these (servants of mine)?”’
Virtue 4 – A day of humiliation to Shaytan
Sayyiduna Talha رضي الله عنه reports that Rasulullah ﷺ said,
‘Apart from the day of the Battle of Badr there is no day on which Shaytan is seen to be more humiliated, more rejected, more depressed and more infuriated, than on the day of ‘ Arafah And this is only due to him observing the (abundant) mercy descending (upon the pilgrims) and Allah forgiving (their) major sins.’
(Al-Muwatta Imam Malik)
What to do on this special day?
On this day we should:
1) Try to fast – Fasting on this day will be a means of our sins of the past year and the coming year being forgiven!
2) Five other main worships we can all do are:
A) Tilawat of the Qur’an
B) Zikr of Allah Ta’ala
C) Giving sadaqah
D) Dua and tawbah
E) Standing in salah
3) Making dua and presenting our needs to Allah Ta’ala. Don’t forget to ask for:
– Allah Ta’ala’s mercy and forgiveness
– Allah Ta’ala to remove the difficulties of this life and the hereafter
– Allah Ta’ala to keep us upon Iman
– For ease at the time of death, ease in the grave, ease on the day of reckoning and ease forever in Jannah
4) If we are not able to do the above, the most important thing is we stay far from sins and do not waste time.
May Allah Ta’ala give us the ability to value every moment of this special day and include us with His chosen servants.