Memorise and practice a new hadeeth every week!
By Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Serving our parents
أَفْضَلُ الأَعْمَالِ الصَّلاَةُ لِوَقْتِهَا وَبِرُّ الْوَالِدَيْنِ
Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ said, “The best of deeds is the observance of salaah at its proper time and kindness to parents.”
This hadeeth informs us of two very special actions we should be giving importance to and should make every effort to do.
1) The first is performing the 5 times salaah on time. (We have covered this topic in a previous hadeeth. Please click here to read more)
2) The second is being kind to parents.
Kindness to parents is something Islam gives a great amount of importance to and there is no room at all to hurt them.
Let us take a look at how much importance our beloved Nabi ﷺ gave to serving our parents:
1) Once a person asked our beloved Nabi ﷺ three times that who he should be kind towards. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ told him all three times that he should serve and be kind to his mother.
2) Showing the importance of the father, our beloved Nabi ﷺ once said that the pleasure of Allah is in the pleasure of the father, and the displeasure of the Allah is in the displeasure of the father.
3) When once listing some major sins our beloved Nabi ﷺ said disobedience to parents is one of them.
4) Jibraeel عليه السلام once cursed certain people and our beloved Nabi ﷺsaid Ameen. One of these people was the child who doesn’t serve his parents in old age and enter Jannah.
5) Our beloved Nabi ﷺ told us that Jannah is under the feet of the mother.
6) In one hadeeth, we learn that disobedience to parents is so disliked by Allah Ta’ala that the person will first be punished in this life and then again after he passes away.
Let us be very careful regarding our parents and aim to:
1) Make them happy at all times.
2) Listen to them and follow their wishes.
3) Take their advice and duas.
4) Serve them and be obedient to them.
5) Give them gifts.