Listen to “Great Companions Series – Fatimah رضي الله عنها ” by Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Fatimah رضي الله عنها
Name: Fatimah رضي الله عنها
Titles: Zahraa and Batool
Born: 34 years after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (18 BH)
Demise: 6 months after our beloved Nabi sallallahu alayhi wasallam (11 AH)
● Fatimah رضي الله عنها was the beloved daughter of our beloved Nabi ﷺ . She was well known for her modesty, righteousness, simplicity, and patience.
● She was also known as Fatimah az-‘Zahraa’ رضي الله عنها (The title ‘Zahraa’ was given to her due to her internal beauty, purity, and splendour). She was also given the title ‘Batool’ (which means to cut-off or detached) this is because she was detached from everything and everyone besides Allah Ta’alaa.
● She lost her mother, Khadijah رضي الله عنها at the age of 15 and this lead her to take on responsibility from a very early age and due to this loss, she became even closer to our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
● Our beloved Nabi ﷺ, with his perfect character, gave her an excellent upbringing, he instilled piety, kindness, generosity, and countless other excellent qualities and characteristics within her.
● She married the 4th Khalifa and cousin of our beloved Nabi ﷺ Ali bin Abee Talib رضي الله عنه. The family tree of our beloved Nabi ﷺ has continued through her.
● She had the privilege of being extremely loved by our beloved Nabi ﷺ, so much so that when our beloved Nabi ﷺ would leave for a journey he would meet her last and when he would return he would meet her first.
● Her piety and status in the eyes of Allah Ta’aala is clear from the words of our beloved Nabi ﷺ in which she is informed of being the leader of the women in Jannah.
● She passed away 6 months after our beloved Nabi ﷺ passed away. At the time of our beloved Nabi ﷺ’s demise, she was informed by him that she would be joining him very soon.
● She passed away in Ramadhan 11 (AH) at the age of just 29 years and is buried in Madinah, in Jannatul Baqee’.
● Due to her modesty, she had requested that she be buried at night so that even the shape of her body could not be seen. Very few family members joined in the Janazah salah.
May Allah grant Fatimah رضي الله عنها a great amount of reward for all of her services to our beloved Nabi ﷺ and to deen and give us the ability to emulate these great companions.
Did you know?
Fatimah رضي الله عنها is the youngest of our beloved Nabi ﷺ’s daughters.
At the time of our beloved Nabi ﷺ’s death, she was close by to him and Our beloved Nabi ﷺ whispered something to her to which she cried and then whispered something else to her which she smiled.
She kept this secret till the demise of our beloved Nabi ﷺ after which when asked she told Ayesha رضي الله عنها that our beloved Nabi ﷺ first informed her that he was soon to pass away, at which she cried, and then she was informed that she will be the first to join him from their household to which she smiled.
It happened exactly as our amazing Nabi ﷺ said; She passed away 6 months later at the age of 29 years.
1) Fatimah رضي الله عنها was very patient and always content with the little that she had.
2) She would spend many hours worshiping and took no interest in socialising.
3) She was very hard-working and carried out all house chores herself which included grinding, carrying water and cleaning.
4) After the loss of her mother Khadijah رضي الله عنها, Fatimah رضي الله عنها matured very quickly and took the responsibility of supporting her father and would even stand up to his enemies.
5) She was a shining example of how to be a daughter, wife and a mother.
6) She had the closest resemblance to our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
Merits of Fatimah رضي الله عنها
- Our beloved Nabi ﷺ gave Fatimah رضي الله عنها the glad tiding of being the Sayyidah (Leader) of the ladies in Jannah. (Sahih Bukhari)
- Ayesha رضي الله عنها said, “In her style of speech, Fatimah رضي الله عنها was most like our beloved Nabi ﷺ. Her style of walking was also exactly the same as our beloved Nabi ﷺ. (Sunan Abi Dawud)
- Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said ‘Fatimah رضي الله عنها is a piece of my body. I am caused pain by whatever causes her pain, and I am grieved by whatever causes her grief.’ (Sahih Muslim)
- Ayesha رضي الله عنها said, “If Fatimah رضي الله عنها entered his home, the prophet ﷺ would stand for her, take her by the hand, kiss her, and seat her in his place. If the Prophet ﷺ entered her home, she would stand for him, take him by the hand, kiss him, and seat him in her place. (Sunan Abi Dawud)
A Gift for this Ummah from Fatimah رضي الله عنها
Fatimah رضي الله عنها had to do all the housework by herself. She was a perfectionist, and she would do everything to the best of her ability. She would grind the flour, knead the dough, light the stove, cook the bread, and cook the meat herself. She would go to the well, draw water, wash the clothes and do all the housework herself. She gave birth to five children. Hasan, Hussain, Zainab, Umme Kulthum, and Muhsin who died in his infancy.
Once she came to ask for a khadim (servant). Our beloved Nabi ﷺ was not at home. When he returned, Ayesha رضي الله عنها informed him. He went straight to Fatimah’s رضي الله عنها house. They had lied down to rest and tried to get up, but he told them to remain where they were. He came and sat between Fatimah رضي الله عنها and Ali رضي الله عنه Then he said “You came to request for a khadim. Shall I give you something better than a khadim?
Before you fall asleep, Read Subhanallah 33 times Alhamdulillah 33 times and Allahu Akbar 34 times. That is better for you than a khadim. This is why these tasbeehaat are called ‘tasbeehe fatimee’ because she was taught them first.