This Weeks Sunnah
Walking a guest to the door
When someone visits us, it’s important to be respectful and attend to their needs. When they are about to leave, we should see them off with respect too.
In seeing someone off we have a few options:
1) We remain seated in our place and let them leave alone. This should be avoided.
2) We walk them till the door or we send someone to walk them till the door if we are busy with some work or with other guests. This is good practice
3) We walk with them out of the house, until they enter their vehicle, or if they have come walking, we walk till the end of the street with them. This is better
4) (if walking) We walk with them till they reach home. This is very good
5) In some cases when someone is travelling far for a long duration it is sunnah to go till the boundary of the city or even country (like airport). This is good practice
All of these methods will Insha’Allah bring the reward of following a Sunnah of our beloved Nabi ﷺ.
So which is the best method?
Let us look at an example of this practice in the time of our beloved Nabi ﷺ in a narration when Muaaz Ibn Jabal رضي الله عنه was being sent to Yemen to govern and teach the people.
Our amazing Nabi ﷺ walked with him till the outskirts of Madeenah and bid him farewell from there!
So, the next time we have a visitor, be respectful and follow this beautiful sunnah and stop whatever we are doing and walk them till the door. If it is someone elderly, pious or our parents, uncles and aunties etc go a step further and walk them till their car. This will take only a short time and a small amount of effort but the reward and blessings will be huge Insha’Allah.
This Weeks Du'a
Dua when bidding someone farewell:
When someone is about to undertake a journey, some are happy, while some will be in tears. Some are worried about what will happen to them while in journey.
Let us learn a beautiful dua which will put our worries to ease Insha’Allah.
When someone would be about to travel, our amazing Nabi ﷺ would hold their hand and read the following du’a.
أَسْتَوْدِعُ اللَّهَ دِينَكَ وَأَمَانَتَكَ وَخَوَاتِيمَ عَمَلِكَ
Astawdi’ul laha dinaka wa amanataka wa khawatima ‘amalik
“I place your religion, your faithfulness and the ends of your deeds in the trust of Allah.”
Benefits of this dua?
Our beloved Nabi ﷺ has said, “When Allah Ta’aala is entrusted with something, he will preserve it”.
Through the blessing of this dua, in which we are asking Allah Ta’aala to take responsibility of the traveller, we need not worry as Allah Ta’aala will look after their needs and keep them safe.
Amazing right? Start reading this dua whenever we are bidding someone farewell