By Mawlana Junayd Makda Sahib
Memorise and practice a Hadeeth every week
from the collection of 40 Ahadeeth by Shaykhul Hadeeth Mawlana Muhammad Saleem Dhorat sahib Hafizahullah.
Salah - The Pillar of Deen
اَلصَّلاةُ عِمَادُ الدِّيْنِ
Our Beloved Nabi ﷺ said,
“Salah is the pillar of the religion (Islam).”
Every building needs some form of support to keep it together, especially its roof. The common method used for this is by adding pillars. The bigger the building the more the need for pillars.
Likewise, our Deen (Islam) also requires certain actions to strengthen it. From this Hadeeth we learn, Salah is the main pillar which supports it. If we become careless with our Salah we will put the building of Islam under serious danger, and it will collapse.
What we learn from this Hadeeth?
1) Salah is a very important part of our religion.
2) Missing our Salah will not only make us sinful but in the long term it will damage the structure and strength of our Deen.
3) A building that is damaged or that doesn’t have the required pillars and support will very quickly collapse. Like this, our Islam and Iman will collapse.
4) In a building, once a pillar is placed, everything in the building is set out around that pillar. Like this, in our life all our daily activities and routines will have to be set out around the 5 Daily Salah.
5) No matter how old a building becomes, the main structure and pillars will remain the same. Even if the decorations etc are modernised and upgraded. Like this, as we grow old and our lifestyle changes, no change can happen to our Salah.
A few other ahadeeth and Qur’an verses that teach us the importance of Salah by saying:
● Performing Salah is the difference between belief and disbelief (Muslim)
● Once in Salah, a believer is talking to Allah Ta’ala. (Bukhari)
● On the Day of Qiyamah the first thing we will be questioned about is Salah. (Tabrani)
● “Salah keeps one (away) from the great sins and evil deeds” (Qur’an 29:45)
● The closest a believer comes to Allah Ta’ala is in the position of sajdah. (Bukhari)
● Salaah illuminates the heart and will bring a person light and salvation on the Day of Qiyamah. (Kanzul ummal)
● The 5 times Salah cleans a person from minor sins, just like a person who cleans himself from dirt by bathing 5 times a day.