This Weeks Sunnah
The Sunnah of Drinking
A person will barely survive for 3 days if he did not have any water to drink. So it’s no wonder why our beloved Nabi ﷺ taught us to thank Allah whenever we drink water. This includes drinks, juices, tea etc. as all of them contain water, so basically any liquid we drink results in us benefiting from this very great blessing which Allah Ta’ala has given us.
How amazing would it be that while drinking water we adopt 5 very simple sunnats of our beloved Nabi ﷺ. Ready for this?
Let’s look at the 5 sunnats:
1) Always sit and drink. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ prohibited us from standing and drinking. After all, we are humans and should not drink like animals!
2) Read bismillah before drinking and read the following beautiful dua after drinking:
اَلْحَمْدُ لِلّٰهِ الَّذِىْ سَقَانَا عَذْباً فُرَاتاً بِرَحْمَتِهِ وَلَمْ يَجْعَلْهُ مِلْحاً اُجَاجاً بِذُنُوْبِنَا
Alhamdu Lillahilladhi saqaanaa adhban furaatan birahmatehee walam yaj’alhu milhan ujaajan bidhunoobina.
All praise is due to Allah, Who through His Mercy has granted us sweet and pleasant water to drink and did not make it bitter and salty due to our sins.
Amazing dua when you look at the meaning!
3) Drink in 3 sips. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ said to drink in more than one sip. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ while drinking would breathe three times, saying, it was more enjoyable and more healthy. (Muslim)
4) Do not breathe into the vessel, cup or bottle you are drinking from. After each sip, move the cup from your mouth, breathe and then sip again. Our beloved Nabi ﷺ also advised Abu Saeed khudri radhiallahu anhu to remove the cup from his mouth, and then to take a breath saying, this will help quench the thirst better.
5) Use the right hand to drink as shaytaan eats and drinks with his left hand.
That’s it. With all of the great health benefits of drinking water, we have now added 5 amazing sunnats and made this task extremely rewarding and full of blessings!
Below are some etiquettes of drinking:
1) To drink with the right hand.
2) To sit and drink.
3) To look into the vessel whilst drinking.
4) To recite بِسْمِ اللَّهِ (In the name of Allah) And when finished recite: الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ (All praise be to Allah Ta’aala).
5) Not to blow into any hot drink to cool it down.
6) To stand and drink Zamzam water or the leftover water after making wudhu (when using water from a container).
7) The person who serves others should drink last.
8) Read the dua after drinking milk and to rinse ones mouth as this is a sunnah.
اللَّهُمَّ بَارِِكْ لَنا فِيهِ وَزِدْنَا مِنْهُ
Allahumma baarik lana feehi wa zidna minhu
O Allah! Bless us in it and give us an increase in it. (Tirmidhi)