This Weeks Dua
Dua when entering and leaving the toilet
We are all in need of Allah Ta’aala’s protection to remain safe from harm, as it is only Allah Ta’aala who can truly protect us all. For this reason, we should ask Allah Ta’aala’s help as frequently as possible.
To make this task easy for us, our amazing Nabi ﷺ has taught us duas to be read at times when we most need Allah Ta’aala’s protection.
One such occasion is when we enter the toilet. The Shayateen live in toilets and in areas of filth and seek to make fun of us when we are answering the call of nature.
As we need the bathroom many times during the day, it is vital to seek Allah Ta’aala’s protection from these shayateen by reading the following:
اللَّهُـمَّ إِنِّي أَعُـوذُ بِـكَ مِـنَ الْخُـبْثِ وَالْخَبَائِثِ
(Bismillah) Allahumma innee A’uzu bika minal-khubthi wal-khaba-ith
“(In the name of Allah). O Allah, I seek protection in you from the male and female shayateen. “
By praying this dua before entering the toilet, we secure Allah Ta’aala’s protection against the evil shayateen who are looking at us whilst we are relieving ourselves.
In a hadith, we find that reciting bismillah before entering and/or before changing one’s clothes prevents the shayateen from looking at our private parts.
Below are some etiquettes of using the toilet and also the dua for when leaving the toilet:
1) Before entering the toilet, ensure any items that have the name of Allah Ta’aala, His beloved Nabi ﷺ or any verse of the Glorious Qur’an is removed and left outside.
2) Read the above du’a and it is good practice to cover the head.
3) Enter with the left foot. As we have learnt previously, we use our left side for actions which are inferior and unpleasant.
4) Wear slippers in the toilet.
Note: We wear the right footwear first but enter with the left foot. Be mindful of this.
5) Do not face or show the back towards the qibla whilst relieving one’s self.
6) Whilst in the toilet avoid talking and likewise, do not utter the name of Allah Ta’aala or Nabi ﷺ
7) After relieving oneself we must clean ourselves.
- a) First use tissue paper to remove filth (use left hand)
- b) Then wash with water. Pour water with the right hand and wash with the left.
- c) Dry with tissue paper.
8) Whilst relieving oneself, take special care to ensure no urine drops splash on our body. Our merciful Nabi ﷺ has said one of the main causes of punishment in the grave is not being careful with drops of urine.
9) Ensure nobody is able to look at you whilst relieving yourself.
10) After finishing in the toilet, it is important to leave the toilet in a clean manner for the next person to use. Clean the seat and ensure you have flushed the toilet properly.
11) The hands should be washed properly.
12) When exiting the toilet, leave with the right foot first.
13) Once outside the following dua:
غُفْرَانَكَ الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَذْهَبَ عَنِّي الْأَذَى وَعَافَانِي
“(O Allah) I seek forgiveness and pardon from You”. All Praise be to Allah, who has taken away from me discomfort and granted me relief”. (Mishkat)
The du’a after leaving the toilet is a supplication of gratitude to Allah Ta’aala, for enabling us to relieve ourselves without any hardship and difficulty.